Need some compressor advise!

magichours

• Members

Ok, I've decided I need a compressor. Mainly for evening out my clean sound (I play a fair amount of funky stuff).

I don't want to run a lot of compression, but I need to be able to leave it on the entire time, switching it off every time I need distortion would be a disaster as I need to flick between distortion and clean very quickly.

At the moment I mainly use a crunchbox for distortion, with my bridge single coil selected it can get a bit noisy, I realise that a compressor is only going to make it noisier, but I want to try and limit that as much as possible.

So far I'm considering either the T-Rex Compnova or the Maxon CP101. Any opinions on these pedals? Any other suggestions?

• Members

The maxon is a nice sounding compressor. Reminding me of a cleaner gentler dyna comp. More subtle.

Haven't tried the t-rex.

The tone press is about the same price as the maxon and is definitely "leave on" type pedal. Has a clean blend know that makes it easy to use before or after your distortion and a trim pot inside to dial it in as a more transparent or more vintage sound.

I typically used a compressor as an effect, to get the squash clicky-ness and sustain. My all time favorite is a boss cs-2. Works great for that sort of thing.

• Members

Thanks for the plug Zygoat! I really appreciate it. The Barber Tone Press is a very neat idea as well. That really makes compression work for some folks that don't normally like compression.

Take care,

Robert

Yeah, that's pretty much it. On the flip side of that, I normally like compression and found the tone press too transparent for my tastes.

• Members

CP101 is very clean, sounds much like the Teese compressor. I had the Keeley four knob compressor and very good it was too. I didn't keep it though and the only comp I have now is the Diamond compressor. I use it a lot for 12-string guitar and the thing that lifts the Diamond into 1st place for me is the Tilt EQ. To me, it allows you to dial in some of the highs that seemed a little lost to me with the Keeley comp.

It's all personal taste really. I do play with a very trebly sound that isn't to everyone's taste. Try out a few, see what you like.

• Members

I have the Analog Man MINI BICOMP and it is awesome, you get 2 compressors, basically they are based on the Ross Compressor and the Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer both have their place on my board, and you can have both on at the same time which gives you an extra dimention.

Worth having a look at.

• Members

that monte CS-3 kit is pretty crazy.

fantastic for vocals believe it or not.

sad how much disinformation, and BS surround the compressor. players relying on others instead of their own ears. if you turn it up, you need to straighten that signal out.

Archived