whammy or super shifter?

thebrokenvow

• Members

for that, the Boss PS5 would probably be more practical,smaller,cheaper,and probably give you a cleaner signal than the whammy. and if you really want, you want get the expression pedal for it. the whammy is pretty much great too, id take either one. id take a boss ps-3 over both of them though.:thu:

• Members

i really just want some octace up sweep sounds to put over delay? opinions please?

If this is all you want, then I'd recommend the Whammy. A Boss does just as well with an expression pedal though, and it's a good deal more versatile if you ever decided you wanted to do anything else (... smart harmony, detune mode, flutter effects... ).

I do octave sweeps with my Boss all the time, and it works just find. The only problem is that you can't control the speed of the sweep in real time with the the exp. pedal. But, if you are satisfied with setting it beforehand and having the same sweep velocity for every sweep in the song (which I am), then there is no problem.

Also, they say the boss has better bypass. It's an analog signal path when the effect is off. Not so in the sweep mode, but just switch it to a different setting when you're not using, and you should be good to go.

• Members

isn't there also a lil reverb or something lame added on to your sound with the ps-3?

some latancy?

Well I don't know about the PS-3, but some people notice some latency with the PS5 in whammy mode. I could hear it after someone told me, but it isn't nearly enough to mess up my playing. I don't notice unless I'm thinking about it.

All digital circuits add a little latency, by the way. And I guess it doesn't matter very much at all, if he's only using it for octave sweeps on delays... Seeing as how delay is about at latent as it gets.

Nobody actually reads the OP, I swear.

• Members

well bottom line which would provide the better pitch bending sound? cleaner

im not worried about expression to be honest so the whammy doesnt really ipress me in that fact im just looking for that octave up swell sound

both the whammy and the boss ps series sound "fake". If you want it to sound less fake, get a HOG. sometimes you are looking for that "fake"-ish sound, though, as opposed to the almost-too-synthy HOG.

• Members

both the whammy and the boss ps series sound "fake". If you want it to sound less fake, get a HOG. sometimes you are looking for that "fake"-ish sound, though, as opposed to the almost-too-synthy HOG.

Well, the HOG is a guitar synth.

I've personally never liked the Whammy, I've always thought it sounds cheesy. I think the PS series sound a little bit better. . .

Hopefully there will be better options in a few years.

Archived