Live Rig

• Members

hey, new to the forums, hope to get a shot of my setup and a few tracks posted soon. In the meantime, I'm loving looking through the thread of your setups. I'm however trying to come with something to use for a live rig other than just my apex and a rack. Right now the setup is a Korg T1 on the bottom tier with a Roland X8 on top. I also have a Roland Axis sitting off to the side for those times I just can't stand still. The rack holds the Roland JV-880, Sound Canvas, Korg 05R/W and the PC for soft synths. (freakin' Juno 106 was stolen a few years back and I have yet to replace it)

My question here is what pictures do you guys have of live setups? Either your own or others you've come across.

-mike

• Members

hey, new to the forums, hope to get a shot of my setup and a few tracks posted soon. In the meantime, I'm loving looking through the thread of your setups. I'm however trying to come with something to use for a live rig other than just my apex and a rack. Right now the setup is a Korg T1 on the bottom tier with a Roland X8 on top. I also have a Roland Axis sitting off to the side for those times I just can't stand still. The rack holds the Roland JV-880, Sound Canvas, Korg 05R/W and the PC for soft synths. (freakin' Juno 106 was stolen a few years back and I have yet to replace it)

My question here is what pictures do you guys have of live setups? Either your own or others you've come across.

-mike

Mike this is the most recent. It has a Triton Extreme, Hammond XK-3, Korg T-3, and a Yamaha S-90 on two Quik Lok QL641 stands. I don't use Apex stands. They look slick but are not that great for 88 key boards and don't allow for foot pedals. The best thing I can tell you is set up ergonomically where it is easy for you to get to one keyboard from another. You can see that the keyboards are not laid out directly on top of each other because I like to play dual manaul and sometimes in the same octave on each board so I offset them for ease of use. So many keyboard players set up and do not have their stuff where they can make the most of it. Welcome to the forum.

• Members

Too late I already bought and Apex. Your criticisms are valid. My other stand is a home made one. I use my for recording and another member of the band actually does the live playing. I'll keep your ideas on the Apex a secret from him LOL..

• Members

Too late I already bought and Apex. Your criticisms are valid. My other stand is a home made one. I use my for recording and another member of the band actually does the live playing. I'll keep your ideas on the Apex a secret from him LOL..

I mean they look slick and I see them on riders all the time when I used to do backline support I just think they are gimmicky in a way.

• Members

Yeah, I bought an Apex a few months ago. It looks great, but it's hard to find room for pedals and it's not as stable as I'd like. I'm going to pick up a tried-and-true two-tier X-stand soon.

As for my live setup, here's a crappy picture of some crappy gear;). Emu Pk-6 on top of a Yamaha S80. It works well enough for this poor college student... :)

• Members

Yeah, I bought an Apex a few months ago. It looks great, but it's hard to find room for pedals and it's not as stable as I'd like. I'm going to pick up a tried-and-true two-tier X-stand soon.

As for my live setup, here's a crappy picture of some crappy gear;). Emu Pk-6 on top of a Yamaha S80. It works well enough for this poor college student...
:)

I know what you mean it looks like an accident waiting to happen.

• Members

When I originally bought the Apex almost 5 years ago, I bought it because of the look and the cable management. I just thought it looked really slick with the two keyboards and the column with everything else hidden. I've gotten used to the X8 on it after a few months. I have had others tell me it looks like it's going to fall over any second, yet when I play I feel fine with it. Of course I'm also used to a full grand shaking all over too because I play so hard. Always have and probably always will.

I also got used to the pedal being in a weird spot although I just put all my pedals on a board that angles up from the floor onto the leg of the apex and so far it's working pretty well.

But then when I started re-thinking my live setup, I looked at the specs of the Apex. That thing will hold a lot of weight. I ordered a set of the longer 18" arms for it but then I may test out something like the attached pic.

wakemanapex.jpg

That's a freakin' T1 on the top tier!! Then again I guess if Rick Wakeman knocks over his T1, it's no big deal..

I guess I'll just have to experiment around. I still have my 80's Ultimate a-frame stand that will hold three boards, but it won't fit anything with 88 keys.

Show me some more pics so I can get some more inspiration. :)

-mike

• Members

When I originally bought the Apex almost 5 years ago, I bought it because of the look and the cable management. I just thought it looked really slick with the two keyboards and the column with everything else hidden. I've gotten used to the X8 on it after a few months. I have had others tell me it looks like it's going to fall over any second, yet when I play I feel fine with it. Of course I'm also used to a full grand shaking all over too because I play so hard. Always have and probably always will.

I also got used to the pedal being in a weird spot although I just put all my pedals on a board that angles up from the floor onto the leg of the apex and so far it's working pretty well.

But then when I started re-thinking my live setup, I looked at the specs of the Apex. That thing will hold a lot of weight. I ordered a set of the longer 18" arms for it but then I may test out something like the attached pic.

wakemanapex.jpg

That's a freakin' T1 on the top tier!! Then again I guess if Rick Wakeman knocks over his T1, it's no big deal..

I guess I'll just have to experiment around. I still have my 80's Ultimate a-frame stand that will hold three boards, but it won't fit anything with 88 keys.

Show me some more pics so I can get some more inspiration.
:)

-mike

Heres one from 1999 when I had a whole rack playing at Brockport College. I had an Roland Xp-50, Korg M-1, Full Rack and kurzweil PC88 MX

• Members

Heres one from 1999 when I had a whole rack playing at Brockport College. I had an Roland Xp-50, Korg M-1, Full Rack and kurzweil PC88 MX

Yeah, Z-stands are rock-solid. Aren't they rather difficult to collapse for transport though?

• Members

Thats the main reason that I bought the Apex was because with the heavy duty looking column I thought that the first level might better support my Yamaha P120.

The 120 is really too much weight on my little home made three level. I had planned to use the upper level for a 61 keyboard. I was gonna put a nord electro 2 on my old stand in place of the Yami. I thought it would easy to break down and transport the Apex.

Good idea for the pedal board underneath.

• Members

Yeah, Z-stands are rock-solid. Aren't they rather difficult to collapse for transport though?

Well that one in the picture is. It is made for heavy boards and mixers. It is a Quiklok Z-727. It is kind of a pain in the ass but I bought it from sweetwater in 1997 and it is still holding up. I love the Quiklok stuff from Italy but they got into trouble with paying taxes and import fees so a lot of retailers dropped the line.

• Members

I have an OnStage Z stand with a 2nd tier extension. I found that the Apex was way too shaky for my K2600XS and the fact that I play pretty heavily. The OnStage stand is rock solid. It takes a couple minutes to set up and break down (a little longer than the Apex) but collapses to a size that I'm very happy with. I have a Trinity V3 on the top tier. Again the 2nd tier extensions are rock solid. I also have a PEK to my left on a Quik-Lok X stand. Works fine for that keyboard but very shaky when I put my Kurzweil on it.

Behind my is my 10-U rack with 2 keyboard modules (XV5080 and TG77), shure personal monitor mixer, motu midi-express xt, and furman power, My Mackie 1604vlz sits on top of the rack.

I'm very happy with my live rig but am consider downsizing by removing the Trinity.

Archived