stereo broke

• Members

i was listening to one of my records the other day, turned up the volume on the thingy with the switches to switch between radio, turntable, and tape player. within a second or so aftering turning the vacuum the thing popped and sound stoped coming out. i was like wtfZ? so i opened up the cabinet and all this smoke was pooring out and the chassis was burning hot.

i dont know what this thing is called. what's it called? haha

what should i get as a replacement? i dont need anything too expensive. jsut somethign that's not a piece of {censored}.

• Members
  • Members

You need a phono preamp to make a turntable work with any audio gear that doesn't have one built in or else you won't get sound, or at least listenable sound. This includes those inexpensive tube integrateds on eBay.

You probably were using a receiver. Don't buy a new one because they're pretty much all crap. Find something nice and old. Brown woodgrain on the sides, aluminum front, etc. They can usually be had for cheap too at garage sales, flea markets, classifieds.

here's mine on the bottom

IMG_0431.jpg

• Members

I thought the point of the integrated amps was to include the phono preamp
:confused:

You would think so(I was referring to those little 10 watt amps being sold out of Hong Kong), and it actually used to be so. These days the definition of an integrated amp doesn't seem to include phono preamps since "nobody uses turntables anymore". I love to shock people by telling them I listen to records. They look at me like I'm telling them I have a Ford Model T as my daily driver.

There's a "tube" phono preamp made by Bellari called the VP129 which is decently cheap, but not all tube as it's half opamp, half tube and doesn't run at high enough voltage, IMO. The sound is still pretty good apparently, and I suspect it would more than cut it for most people. My recommendation would be a Pro-Ject Phono Box or a Music Hall Phono Pack. Great sound for $129. Check a place like http://www.needledoctor.com for audio gear that goes from semi-mild to super-wild. Like I mean some stuff there is over $10,000 and you can just "add to cart".

• Members
You would think so, and it actually used to be so. These days the definition of an integrated amp doesn't seem to include phono preamps since "nobody uses turntables anymore".

Ah, okay. But the vintage integrated tube amps should have the phono preamp, right? I'd actually like to get an old Fisher one of these days. I just can't afford a McIntosh or even a Dynaco.

Yeah, vinyl buffs are a dying breed, but I'm still amazed that there are any of us at all, and that the market is still kicking. In Orlando, we have at least 4 different stores that specialize in vinyl, and they've been in business for a long time :thu:

• Members
Ah, okay. But the vintage integrated tube amps should have the phono preamp, right? I'd actually like to get an old Fisher one of these days. I just can't afford a McIntosh or even a Dynaco.

Yeah, vinyl buffs are a dying breed, but I'm still amazed that there are any of us at all, and that the market is still kicking. In Orlando, we have at least 4 different stores that specialize in vinyl, and they've been in business for a long time
:thu:

Oh yeah, the old ones should definitely have them. I thought you meant the Chinese-made integrateds for cheap sold by a few people on eBay out of Hong Kong and Singapore. From what I've found out they actually sound pretty nice for the price and are built well considering the price. They are pretty popular among frugal audiophiles considering what you get for the modest rate. Although guy I knew scored a vintage GE integrated with original tubes for $120 on eBay :cry:

Vinyl buffs are a funny group. I like seeing what kind of crowd shows up at my favourite record shops and what conversations occur. I'm only 20 so a lot of people find it all the more strange that I like records instead of being a "remote control kid". I hate CDs! Except for when I'm in the car.

• Members

Do you normally keep it in that cabinet with the door closed? Because if you did, chances are your amp was a victim of overheating. Your next amp will suffer the same fate if you don't keep it somewhere well ventilated. it's one of those "non switching" "quasi class A" amps that was designed to give Class A sound without Class A heat, but still created a good amount of heat.

• Members

Do you normally keep it in that cabinet with the door closed? Because if you did, chances are your amp was a victim of overheating. Your next amp will suffer the same fate if you don't keep it somewhere well ventilated. it's one of those "non switching" "quasi class A" amps that was designed to give Class A sound without Class A heat, but still created a good amount of heat.

yeah i do keep it closed :- And it had been on for probably a month or two without me turning it off. :- I didn't even think of that. It has an open back though.

• Members

Bingo, done. I've got the 52wpc model (2252b). It sounds amazing and is a total tank, build to withstand nuclear attack. Paid $135 for mine about 6 years ago (they've gone up since then) but it cost about $450 new back in 1978 or whatever. $450 bought a LOT of quality back then.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Marantz-2235B-Stereo-Receiver-35-wpc-Superb_W0QQitemZ180170357498QQihZ008QQcategoryZ50596QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members
Bingo, done. I've got the 52wpc model (2252b). It sounds amazing and is a total tank, build to withstand nuclear attack. Paid $135 for mine about 6 years ago (they've gone up since then) but it cost about $450 new back in 1978 or whatever. $450 bought a LOT of quality back then.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Marantz-2235B-Stereo-Receiver-35-wpc-Superb_W0QQitemZ180170357498QQihZ008QQcategoryZ50596QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Word. I love Marantz :love:

• Members

does something like that run recordplayers?

• Members

I have a Rotel...made in japan and has a phono pre-amp built in....and it sounds sweet! actually I've owned it over 10 years now...it must be getting on for 15-20 years old.

edit: {censored} it's gone 2am...night all!!! :)

• Members
You're on a computer...download some mp3z...
:thu:

:freak:

:wave:

:poke:

why would i want to do that when i have all these awesome records in better quality than on my computer?

It's impossible to get a good vinyl transfer to a digital format. i have a bunch of records that you can't get on digital online/only have {censored}ty transfers online.

Archived