Just been listening to the new The Verve music just released

dangerous dan

• Members

There is a 15 minute jam "The Thaw Sessions" that has come out and its {censored}ing awesome !! :phil:

It sounds just like back in 92-95, got the groove and feel of Northern Soul and Storm in Heaven, great hypnotic bass lines, solid jazzy type drumming and great Nick Mcabe with his wah and delay creating those awesome sounds. "In the end all I've got is love".

I'll have this on my iPod player going to work tomorrow.

Makes me really look forward to seeing them in December, can't wait :D

And just for the gratious use :cop:

• Members

Have you seen the list of tunes they are rehearsing?

Lifted this from Simon Jones' myspace.....

Anyway, the remainder of the week was spent rehearsing"up

north" (what a freakin luxury to make music away from that big London

place!) with Nick and Pete. Richard will be joining us later when

we've gotten the music together. Gotta say - twas the greatest few

days playin' old tunes! Started with Life's an Ocean and gotta say it

made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up! So far we got a short

list of about 20 odd tunes to pool from for these first gigs, in no

particular order we played-Make it till Monday, Virtual world,She's a

Superstar, Gravity Grave,This is Music, A New Decade, On your Own,

History, Stormy Clouds,Life's an Ocean, A Northern Soul, All in the

Mind!(Sounded Amazing), B.S.S.,Drugs don't Work, Sonnet, Lucky Man,

Come on, Weeping Willow, Rolling people, Velvet morning, Space and

time,Man Called sun, Starsail and new ones,should I give titles away

yet?fck it-Sit and Wonder,Judas,Appalachian Springs. Other new ones we

are planning to do - maybe-Mona Lisa and Rather Be. I don't want to

give the game away(already have) but I would like some feedback on all

this-Now's the time to speak up! What have we missed that u wanna

hear? Is it too early to play new stuff? do we skip the obvious? do we

do the obscure? Let me know! Later.....Si Jones.

• Members

Alco check out the early singles / EPs like All In Teh Mind, Gravity Grave and She's A Superstar - might be hard to find (I have them all !!) - but there are some great songs / b sides on those.

I agree! I have all the singles/EP's and they are all really good. Even the B-side singles from the Urban Hymns era are good.

I really like A Northern Soul, but I still view it as the "transition" album. The transition between the spacey rock of the early days and the more accessible "pop" that came later with UH.

Their shows back then were much better as well, and seemed to decrease in intensity by the time they toured with UH. Hopefully they will come back with as much "verve" as the early days.

By the way, that may just be the best band name ever.

• Members

Are you going to see them in Belfast in December ?

Of course :)

I saw thier last show at Slane in '98, but McCabe wasn't there so it doesn't really count.

They've announced a show in Nottingham on the 11th of December. I have a cousin wo lives there. I'm extremely tempted to get tickets, but it's too close to Christmas and I sort of have my eye on a new amp.

• Members

Of course
:)

I saw thier last show at Slane in '98, but McCabe wasn't there so it doesn't really count.

They've announced a show in Nottingham on the 11th of December. I have a cousin wo lives there. I'm extremely tempted to get tickets, but it's too close to Christmas and I sort of have my eye on a new amp.

I'm off to see them in Manchester, about the 20th December iirc. I'll post some pics up aferwards.

• Members

I've listened about ten times since Headlow hipped me to the nme download yesterday. Great to hear them back to their best in terms of how they approach the writing. I am stoked to see them in Belfast, to me, it's like Hendrix coming back from the dead.

McCabe turned my guitar world upside down when I got into him and yet I've never seen him play until now. I just hope it all holds together long enough for it to happen. I was gutted when he pulled out of the Slane Castle gig, fingers are crossed for this one.

• Members

Also, anyone care to guess what Nick's using on that nme track? It doesn't sound Les Paul like to me, more like the Strat days perhaps? A nicer clean tone than I hear on the Wigan gig too, Twin, or what?

Sounds like a Tele perhaps ? I know in late 90's during the UH period he was using a red strAt for some songs (lifes an ocean)

Archived