help out a noob.

jeremylp

• Members

I've been playing guitar for about 2 years and never bought a single pedal.

I've recently went go a concert and saw that almost every guitarist had a huge pedal collection.

If I wanted to start using pedals, would it better and cheaper to use multi like pod or just buy single pedals

And if there are any pod x3 users, how is it

Thanks to everyone who looked.

• Members

It all depends on your music needs. IMO, if you're happy with your amp's distortion you should first get a delay pedal or one that is capable of looping.

Getting a cheap multi FX pedal would be OK to see what effects you'd actually use, and go from there. Never used the new Pod, I always thought they were overpriced.

• Members

IMHO, your best bet would be to by a multi-effects unit to have a proper initiation into the realm of effects.

Individual pedals sound better IMHO. Once you discover what are your preferences, you will know what pedals to buy and which ones you don't want/need.

Best of luck,

y

• Members

buy a used/new multi-fx like a zoom Gt2. Digitech RP150,250 supposedly sound decent. Vox tonelab LE also sounds good but might be overkill. It is important to know whether you have a good amp and/or like the distortion sound from your amp, because most multi-fx have mediocre distortion at best.

• Members

^^agreed

I've recently started moving over to single effects...I had an RP-200, it did what I needed it to do, and if there's ever a pedal I think I want, I try it out on the RP200 to see how I like it..it saves me a trip to a store just to try out something I may or may not like..

• Members

+1 for the recommendations on a multi-effects unit. There are a ton of great options that are inexpensive. It'll allow you to try a bunch of sounds that you'll never have access to with single pedals. Over time you'll find stuff that you really like and be able to better decide what single pedals make sense to own.

• Members

What I did was just listen to songs, and when I noticed a particular effect and enjoyed the sound, I would investigate buying one - that way, when I bought the pedal, I had a good starting point for the sound I was looking for, and I could experiment from there.

U2 made me want a delay pedal,
Brad Paisley and other country artists made me a tremolo pedal,
the solo in the Aerosmith song "what it takes" + Tom Petty's "the man who loved women" made me want to get a chorus pedal,
Hotel California makes me wanted a phase shifter.
Led Zeppelin & The Eagles made me want a fuzz pedal.

• Members

Oh sorry I forgot to mention my gear

I currently play a lp vos r7 custom, or a mim strat through a peavey classic 30.
I play anything from worship music to classic rock. I like gary moore tones, zeppelin, and hendrix.

Thanks to everyone who responded

• Members

I'd agree that a decent used multi fx may be a good place to start. for the bands you listed, I think a good overdrive pedal, delay pedal, and chorus pedal would be a good first start. Depending on your budget, or course. I really like the Tube Screamer overdrive pedals and the ones along those lines like the Fulltone Fulldrive 2, etc. I've been into the DIY thing lately so I made a BYOC Screamer and did a few mods to it so it's a really versatile pedal now and I'm absolutely in love with that pedal and the tones I get.

Personally, I like my distortion to come from an amp and I like an overdrive for leads. However, I also built the BYOC Big Muff clone (w/ some mods for versatility) and I'm getting into using that on my amp's clean channel (the pedal overwhelms the dirty channel) for some fuzzy goodness and synthy leads.

• Members

Ok if I was to buy a muti effects pedal what would be the best choice for around 500

I've heard a lot of good things about the boss gt9 8, pod xt3, and vox tonelab.

Which would you recommend, I want some nice effects, overdrive and distortion doesn't really matter since I can get good driven sounds out of the peavey c30.

Thanks everyone for helping

• Members

Well, for that budget, I'd prolly go w/ the XTL 3! I have the XTL, but I only use it for recording. It's pretty awesome though! The guys on the Line 6 forums use them live and a lot of those guys use them at their church through the PA.

The XTL 3 allows you to run two seperate amps/effects at the same time which is sweet. Through an amp, you'd probably want to turn off the amp modelling and just use effects. You could have a blast w/ the options of modulation effects. Also, you can tweak all your settings on your computer while it's hooked up to the unit. WAY easier than doing it w/in the unit.

There's plenty of banks for presets as well. From what I've read, the settings that you set up to use to record into your DAW may not sound good through an amp/PA so you can have the same set-ups dialed in but w/ different parameters and have them saved in seperate banks.

But obvioulsy, try before you buy. Ask a lot of questions and read reviews.

• Members
Ok if I was to buy a muti effects pedal what would be the best choice for around 500

I've heard a lot of good things about the boss gt9 8, pod xt3, and vox tonelab.

Which would you recommend, I want some nice effects, overdrive and distortion doesn't really matter since I can get good driven sounds out of the peavey c30.

Thanks everyone for helping

I would go with the Boss GT-8 :thu:

Archived