On a Robert Smith kick...must...have...flanger...

The*Ataris

• Members

Ok, I'm totally gay for Robert Smith tones right now and was contemplating a flanger to have some fun with. Yeah, I know he used an old Boss BF-2, but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews.

I notice a lot of the "boutique" guys don't make flangers...

Is there something that's not so "mainstream" that can pull off that sort of sound. It's not imperative, but a mix knob for more subtle sounds would be nice. I hate treble heavy modulation sounds too...

I appreciate any help...

• Members

If your just looking to get started, with a nice analog flange on the cheap, get the dod fx75c. To be honest its the best flange i've used (but i can only compare them to 2 bosses and the dano fab). Its got a blend, and goes from almost nothing subtle, to pretty deep. But I mean {censored} they sell for like 25 bucks, i can't see how one would afford to live wit out one.

• Members

I love my HF-2, but it's a one-trick pony if you ask me. Not very versatile at all, so if I were to have a single flanger in my setup, it certainly wouldn't be an HF-2... even though that is actually the only flanger on my board... but that's the sound I'm going for... most other people, especially those starting out with effects pedals, will want something to cover more bases.

IMO, you can't go wrong with an older Ibanez FL-9 or one of new Maxon FL-9 reissues for a good, general purpose flanger.

• Members

I'd say he used the chorus more on the clean tones. It's all over Disentegration. I actually played a new CH-1 at GC last week and I really liked it, same goes for the Boss Compressor. Call me crazy, but both those had great tones. Although I was using a 60s Players Strat through an AC15, but it was pretty rockin.

Archived