LP = Les Paul, SG = ??

RoboPimp

• Members
hah, solid baby

right now I want to go out in the back yard and hammer throw that stupid SG of mine into the creek.

not sure why. it didn't do anything to me.

get some spikes and just nail it into a tree... if it comes back in three days you can make up a kewl story and make some money off of it. :wave:

• Members

actually the SG was going to be the new Les Paul model, so it was going to be called a 'Les Paul' originally.

on a side note the Les Paul has to be the best selling signature model ever!!

Yep. But Les Paul hated it and refused to have his name associated with it.

• Members

actually the SG was going to be the new Les Paul model, so it was going to be called a 'Les Paul' originally.

on a side note the Les Paul has to be the best selling signature model ever!!

Gibson signed Les Paul, who has been experimenting with solid body proto's, to add a known name to their solid body guitar. It's interesting that though Les Paul came up witha somewhat radical design, the "Les Paul" model was more like the traditional sc designs popularized by Gibson.

After a few years, Gibson discontinued the single cut Les Paul in favor of the double cut Les Paul, but because Les hated it, he refused to let them keep his name on it and they designated the new model as "SG" or solid-body guitar becasue it was designed as a solid piece of mahogany without the maple cap. It's actually the only solid-body electric that Gibson produced with no gaps in production -- even the hallowed LP was discontinued at some point, but not the SG.

Which SG do you have Robo, and why do you hate it so much?

c

Archived