Classic rock distortion recommendation please?

tspit74

• Members

I need a non-digital, affordable, distortion/fuzz/overdrive (not sure of the difference)pedal. Something that goes from minor dirt to full fuzz. Nothing industrial or metal in tone. I play a '71 SG thru a Roland JC-77. I currently use a Behringer Vintage Distortion, which is terrible. I can't adjust the amount of fuzz, just the volume, tone and sustain of it. Also, it's just white noise with no definition of the notes played. Basically it sounds like mush.

What I'm looking for shouldn't be difficult. Just 70's rock sound. Think: Santana, Rundgren, Richrath, Styx, Townshend, Joe Walsh, etc. Do I need to go tube? Or is there a tubey-sounding cheapo box the does the job with no digital tricks?

Thanks!

• Members

A Rat?

My brother has a dual Rat but I've never tried it. I always assumed it was a metal thing. He was into all the hair bands in the 80's/early 90's and I wasn't. So I kind of assumed the Rat was for metal heads and never considered it. Maybe I'll see if I can borrow it from him tonight.

I'll assume the new ones aren't any good or are they?

Thanks for the quick response!

• Members

A Rat?

My brother has a dual Rat but I've never tried it. I always assumed it was a metal thing. He was into all the hair bands in the 80's/early 90's and I wasn't. So I kind of assumed the Rat was for metal heads and never considered it. Maybe I'll see if I can borrow it from him tonight.

I'll assume the new ones aren't any good or are they?

Thanks for the quick response!

Depends. The Turbo RAT is good because it's purposely built to be a more modern version of the RAT. Not sure about the others.

• Members

Depends. The Turbo RAT is good because it's purposely built to be a more modern version of the RAT. Not sure about the others.

i believe that the turbo rat has LED clipping instead of whatever chip they're using today in the regular rats.

my suggestion is the Tonefactor Mule. the mule kicked every other pedal i've used previously off of my board, including a Foxrox ZIM w/ T+ and H9 cards, and the Foxrox Hot Silicon Fuzz.

• Members

If the Turbo Rat is good enough for Thom Yorke...

. . . and for the guitarist of Portishead :eek::love::thu:

I like most of these units too;

And not just because the name says "Vintage" :evil: - i believe they are seriously good value for the money you spend !

http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi?config=&uid=xjbK0gAA1195592073&uzc=&command=link--vfx

Give the sound clips a go !

My 2cents

;)

Archived