Musictoyz....trustworthy?

BIGD

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Do a seach. MusicToyz is notorious for this wit many people expressing polarized views.

Speaking from experience, you will eventually get either your money or your pedal, but be prepared for some interesting times. I would call ASAP and ask for an update and to verify that the pedal is actually in stock.

c

• Members

I had a bad experience with them about 4 years ago. I ordered a Fulltone 69 from their used section and waited about a month before getting somewhat suspicious.

I sent them an email and they said that it wasn't in stock. It stayed on their website for about a week after that so who knows how many people 'bought' it. I think definately call them up before placing any order.

• Members

I've e-mailed 3 times and called twice.

1)They shouldn't put an e-mail address on their website if they don't read or respond to them

2) I was told yesterday that I would definitely get a call back by the end of the day, and I did not, so I had to call again today and they are looking into it.

They sent me a tracking number that first showed up as "billnig information received", which in UPS speak means that the shipper has arranged a pickup but does not mean that that package has actually been picked up (I know these things..) Now it shows as invalid.

I'm posting here because I've already gone further than I have had to with any other online merchant, which scares me. If it works out I will come back and give them thumbs up, but I'm getting a bad feeling. I ordered something that I wanted for a gig next Friday...on Tuesday..and they are East Coast.

• Members

I had a bad experience with them about 4 years ago. I ordered a Fulltone 69 from their used section and waited about a month before getting somewhat suspicious.

I sent them an email and they said that it wasn't in stock. It stayed on their website for about a week after that so who knows how many people 'bought' it. I think definately call them up before placing any order.

Great!!

They said that what I ordered was in stock.

• Members

I conducted my one and only transaction with musictoyz in 2002. Eventually I got my stuff. I don't think they are out to rip people off. But, the stuff wasn't in stock when they said that it was, it shipped very late, and when it finally did arrive it was obviously returned merchandise. Customer service was the worst I have ever encountered. Most of my attempts at communication went unanswered. On the rare occasions when I could actually contact someone the person was rude and obviously could not have cared less about whether I had a positive experience or not - in short a complete asshole.

Based on the mix of positive and negative opinions I think the musictoyz experience is a lottery with about a 50/50 chance of good/nightmare.

Basically musictoyz just does not give a f_ _ k how you feel, but eventually they get around to doing their business.

• Members

Oh, and forget about getting what you ordered in time for your gig. When I ordered from them I payed extra for two-day shipping. I didn't even get it within two weeks!

{censored}in great.

Yesterday I talked to an a woman who was at least friendly, but didn't follow through on what she said.

Today, well, we'll see...

• Members

...ANY PLACE that does biz that way deserves to be OUT OF BIZ...

...Tonefactor or PedalGeek are my weapons of choice if I'm going with a small operation...

+1

Most of my Pedalgeek orders in the past have made it to me within 24 hours of placing it.

Brad at Tonefactor is absolutely wonderful to deal with, ad has been incredibly helpful.

Musictoyz still owes me money for return shipping on a wrong order they sent me.:mad:

• Members

I've only ordered once from Musictoyz. I saw a few similar threads around the time of my order, and on thread advice called before I ordered to make sure the item was in stock. When they confirmed that it was, I went ahead and placed the order over the phone "in person," if you will. I got my merchandise within a few days, east coast to west coast.

Basically, what I've gotten from all the threads is that they really don't handle the online ordering very well at all. It's much better to call them when placing the order, it seems like they actually take care of it at that time. I have no idea why they would maintain an online ordering system with these types of delays and poor customer service, but it's probably to drive more business to their site.

Good luck, hope you get your merch sooner than later.

• Members

took me three months before i got my order from them!

they always give you what you buy or a refund but they {censored} you around for months.

i'll never buy there again,between tonefactor,supersoundmusic and analogman i get all i need and its always here in oz a week or so later!

• Members

I think it's all about profit.

Company wants to sell pedals and discovers that buying in mass numbers from a manufacturer saves money... Unfortunately, company does not have enough capital to buy say 20 X pedal, and he waits...

So, company puts up a website stating X pedal is in stock, (even though it is not)..

Pedal geek clap and click "buy item" button and empty out his PayPal account.

UPS tracking number generated when mailing label is paid for, not when item, which is not in stock, is shipped.

Eventually, 10 or 20 pedal geeks click "buy item" button for pedal X, and now, company has enough $$ to purchase in volume (and get the ensuing bulk discount).

Order is made, and the last few customers get their pedals in a timely manner, though pedal geeks #1-8 (or 18) get a myriad of excuses and BS, not to mention an extended wating period for pedals that are in stock everywhere.

In the meantime, certain manufacturers based in PDX refuse to deal with said company because of {censored}ty business practices,

and I'll either buy crap in the spams, from eBay, Tonefrenzy or TwinTown Guitars (for ZV stuff) or Tonefactor.

Technically, no one is robbed, all monies are either refunded or the products eventually delivered, so in that sense, Teddy is still better than a lot of fly-by-night operations, but the options available make the choice a no-brainer.

c

• Members

Damn, I placed an order over 2 weeks ago. This thread doesn't exactly instill confidence.

Not all of the deals end poorly. My first 2 purchases with them went well. After the hassle of the third deal, I decided to take my business elsewhere. Hopefully it will show up soon.

c

• Members

Ive ordered form them a couple times. If the pedal I ordered was in stock everything went well. They don't have their web site updated with stuff thats out of stock, so I had to cancel placed orders that i never received because they never let me know that it was not in stock.

• Members

Not all of the deals end poorly. My first 2 purchases with them went well. After the hassle of the third deal, I decided to take my business elsewhere. Hopefully it will show up soon.

c

Thank you. :thu:

If I'm lucky, there's a good chance it'll show up tomorrow.

Archived