Pedal board cables instead of George L's

bmast160

• Members

what do you recommend instead. i like the sound of them but they cut out and need to be recut and reassembled a lot. looking for something that will last and wont have to be reassembled all the time because they start to cut out. i've heard good things about switchcraft jacks...

• Members
i suggest one good lava ELC from guitar to pedalboard and build your own here for the pedal board and to the amp.

http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BMI&Category_Code=PABP

how hard is it to solder your own patches? are there any instructions online anywhere?

I'm really considering doing this with the money I get from selling my george l's :lol:

• Members
how hard is it to solder your own patches? are there any instructions online anywhere?

I'm really considering doing this with the money I get from selling my george l's
:lol:

soldering is a piece of cake. Go to radio shack and get yourself a, what i call a soldering pencil and some 40/60 solder. Might cost you 6 bucks total. (dont get the big gun type) "Tining" thats where you prepare each piece to be soldered. first is the tip of your iron. plug it in and wait about 5 min. unroll your solder so about 6" sticks out and touch it to the tip of the iron. You could use a Jar lid or be creative and find something to use to as a rest for the iron and catch the melted solder. once you see the solder holding to the tip , it done. practice soldering first tining a wire and get the feel of how the solder flows. now when you put two pieces together it only takes a few seconds and the solder is nice and shiney when finished. Clean the tip offen with a wet sponge or rag.

soldering is easy but cutting the wire correctly to fit, learn by example. unscrew one of you guitar cables and look how its done. Clean too aint it?

good luck man!

• Members

Soldering is easy, but it takes a lot of practice/time to get it perfect - just like most skills really. If you're not big on your soldering skills, I wouldn't recommend it; even the most decent solder joints could introduce noise to your setup (which could probably be dealt with, but that's more even more hassle for you).

I've heard good things about Evidence, Lava, Bill Lawerence (except I think they work the same way as George Ls) and Mogami. For the price they're commanding (and for the reviews they get), I assume they're the same quality as George L's (I don't have any experience with them except Bill Lawerences).

• Members

i dont want to have to solder anything because if it craps out while playing i dont want to have a soldier gun there to fix it or carry extra cables to switch out. it needs to either be already set up and long lasting or easily fixable like george l's.

also what about xlr cables for mics. how are the shures?

Archived