So I saw Dinosaur Jr. last night..

• Members

Did anyone else go? It was a sweet show on Dino's part, of course, though I wish they'd throw in some more old ones (they had old/ beyond split about half and half)... and I know I should have been expecting loud, but I wasn't expecting THAT loud. One of the greatest guitar tones I've heard, but probably one of the last :p (ears still ringing... probably doesn't help that I was standing about 10 feet away from his entire rig). The opening bands were very cool, and all Dino's members signed my shirt after the show.

Coolest night ever.

oh, and I definetely didn't expect it... but Mascis whipped this one out :freak:

j2vb3.jpg

• Members

That right there is super awesome. I wish I could see Dinosaur Jr live. I missed their show in Toronto the last time they came. I spy a Hiwatt and two Marshall Plexis(Super Lead? Super Bass? 1987? JTM45?)...plus a J signature Jazzmaster off on the right.

Where was the show?

• Members

I've seen them many times and it's always good. But I gotta say they're louder than ever. The last time I saw them was 2005 in Toronto with Lou and Murph, I was standing at the BACK because I thought I knew what I was in for. Show ended, walked out of the venue and nearly got hit by a cab I didn't realize was coming because I was freakin' deaf! Took 2 days to get my hearing back.

I really hope J is using some serious ear plugs but I have a feeling he doesn't. Insane!

• Members
Did anyone else go? It was a sweet show on Dino's part, of course, though I wish they'd throw in some more old ones (they had old/ beyond split about half and half)... and I know I should have been expecting loud, but I wasn't expecting THAT loud. One of the greatest guitar tones I've heard, but probably one of the last
:p
(ears still ringing... probably doesn't help that I was standing about 10 feet away from his entire rig). The opening bands were very cool, and all Dino's members signed my shirt after the show.

Coolest night ever.

oh, and I definetely didn't expect it... but Mascis whipped this one out
:freak:

j2vb3.jpg

I saw J Mascis and The Fog at Slim's in San Francisco a few years back with Beachwood Spark opening up for them...I'm a big J Mascis fan and I've seen a lot of loud shows in my day, but they cleared Slim's from about 200 people (it's an 800 cap venue) to about 5 in about 10 minutes because they were so loud and bright sounding. I couldn't handle more than about 20 minutes before I had to bail. It was really obscenely loud and you couldn't make out ANYTHING...it sounded like a dozen inversions of the Dmaj7 chord with the treble, presence and volume maxed on three Marshall full stacks. :D

{censored}...not even Husker Du or Slayer were that loud. :D

• Members

My Guess is that J. is already partially deaf and needs it that loud just to be able to hear himself. I saw a Greg Howe show where a buddy of mine ran sound and it was so loud i could not take it i had to hide behind some kind of structure in the club. I later asked my buddy who was running sound cause it was insanely loud beyond comprehension. He said that it was him running sound and that he had to turn it up that loud cause Greg kept complaining that he couldnt hear it "that guy is {censored}ing deaf!" So that's my guess that j. already has hearing loss. sad.

• Members

My Guess is that J. is already partially deaf and needs it that loud just to be able to hear himself. I saw a Greg Howe show where a buddy of mine ran sound and it was so loud i could not take it i had to hide behind some kind of structure in the club. I later asked my buddy who was running sound cause it was insanely loud beyond comprehension. He said that it was him running sound and that he had to turn it up that loud cause Greg kept complaining that he couldnt hear it "that guy is {censored}ing deaf!" So that's my guess that j. already has hearing loss. sad.

he plays, and always has played that loud because he started off playing drums and wanted to FEEL the guitar like he felt the drums. when they first started, people hated them because they were so loud and incoherent sounding. great {censored}.

• Members

nah i think im with ya on this one

I was never so musically bored or unhappy as the one time I saw Dino Jr. at the old Tramps in NYC.

So fuggin loud that it was unlisteable, plus he was playing this tired old 70's gtr. stuff over and over.

I've liked some of his songs and he gets some cool tones,

but I really think the guy's way overrated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

nah, he just used the V thing for the last song. and yeah, It was two Marshalls. a HiWatt, and some tweed Fender for a monitor. He used his sunburst Jazzmaster most of the show, and white with gold pickguard on just like heaven.

I saw 'em last week. He just used a Marshall Super Lead, a Marshall PA, and a Hiwatt DR103. I'm told he doesn't even use a monitor anymore, though, on account of the fact that he just can't hear it very well... I could be misinformed, though

Also, he only used two Jazzmasters for the whole show, if I remember correctly. I wish he would've used that reverse V, though; that thing {censored}in' rules.

During the sound check, I could hear them testing all of his pedals, too. Fuzz city.

Archived