why have i been so obsessed with transparency...

locust tree

• Members

...when it comes to my dirt boxes?

And i'm not necessarily talking in an EQ sense, because a lot of my favorite overdrives pile on heaps of midrange. But i have always gravitated toward drives that generally have very smooth gain structures and subdued high end, and that respond well to out of phase / quacky pickup settings. And that's cool and all, but... {censored} man, lately i also want something really brash and trebly... i heard a marshall jcm2000 DSL at a show the other night. and its dirty channel was so in your face; such a different characteristic than most drive pedals. I'm talking like... the dirty tones on The Bends or What's the Story Morning Glory? Or old Smithereens tunes like "a girl like you."

Aside from the fact that i don't even know where to begin searching for a stomp with those characteristics, I'm also wondering if any other HCFX'ers just have sea changes in their tonal preferences like this. Is 3 dirt boxes on my gigging pedal board just overkill? I think it might be. Just another crush i have on a certain tone... maybe it'll pass with time.

• Members

by transparency do you mean true bypass? or do you mean you can still hear the tonal characteristics of the guitar/pickups/cables etc.?

what I've got:
transparent: barber burn unit eq
not transparent: ibanez ts-10

the former let's you really hear different nuances in your playing and the type of guitar you're using. The latter adds lots of mids and rolls off the bottom end, coloring all guitars and pickups.

Each has it's place, but the ts-10 is a lot less versatile.

• Members

by transparency do you mean true bypass? or do you mean you can still hear the tonal characteristics of the guitar/pickups/cables etc.?

what I've got:

transparent: barber burn unit eq

not transparent: ibanez ts-10

the former let's you really hear different nuances in your playing and the type of guitar you're using. The latter adds lots of mids and rolls off the bottom end, coloring all guitars and pickups.

Each has it's place, but the ts-10 is a lot less versatile.

yes, i mean the latter - tonal characteristics.

I haven't played a TS10 in a while, but i remember having sort of a more trebly sound. however when you describe its "color" you mainly refer to its eq voicing... this isn't necessarily what i'm talking about. It's possible for a drive pedal to add a lot of eq coloration, and still put out a close approximation of the guitar / pickups going into it.. I am more talking about overall gain & clipping structure - looking for a box that gets away from the more polite, soft clipped overdrive sound.

Archived