i'm selling a DD20 and DMM - want to replace with ONE delay...which one?

Raskolnikovs axe

• Members

title says it all. I'm thinking maybe a Stereo Memory Man w/Hazarai. I don't need to duplicate all the features i get with the DD20 and DMM, but what I WOULD like is preset capability, some funky oscillation/pitchy UFO type capability, and overall good sound with lots of options. What else should I consider? what about the Nova delay or Timefactor? (Timefactor seems to be out of my price range though...)

• Members

Eat ramen for a month and get the Timefactor. However, it's almost necessary to get at least an expression pedal, and I recommend also getting one of BTBAM's tap tempos, they are kickass.

The Timefactor. There is no rival. It is the best digital delay available, period.

• Members
title says it all... what I WOULD like is preset capability, some funky oscillation/pitchy UFO type capability, and overall good sound with lots of options.

The SMMH has 7 presets, one for each Hazarai mode; but the oscillations on the DMM are pretty unique to that box. You won't get that with the SMMH. Maybe you can try to sell the DMM for $200 and then buy a fixer-upper DMM for about $100. Then you can have the best of both :)

• Members
The SMMH has 7 presets, one for each Hazarai mode; but the oscillations on the DMM are pretty unique to that box. You won't get that with the SMMH. Maybe you can try to sell the DMM for $200 and then buy a fixer-upper DMM for about $100. Then you can have the best of both
:)

the SMMH can't oscillate? :eek:
(or can it, but not an identical oscillation of a DMM?)

• Members

If you rely or use any oscillation then the SMMH is not for you. It doesnt do a great job of it and sounds totally different then the real deal DMM. For that reason alone i would not part with my DMM.

The SMMH is also not a very useful looper for live purposes. I use my Headrush and EHX 2880. It is however a great delay pedal with a batch of other cool features and it sounds great. It has a wonderful reverb tone to it. I like it alot with my rig.

Since you are used to the dd20 and DMM i would recommend either the Nova or the diamond. The nova should have all the preset magic you could need as well as fine fidelity. I know the diamond doent have any presets but it sounds pretty close to the DMM, it oscillates beautifully, and it has tap tempo. I bet you could get a new one just for the price of the DMM, assuming its in good shape.

• Members

the only thing that steers me away from the diamond is the price and the lack of dotted-eighth settings. i know you can tap it in if you count it out, but that's hard to do while singing

the thing that attracts me to the SMM/H is that even though it probably wont' oscillate like the DMM, it seems to have a lot of weird personality to it. I rarely use the oscillation in the DMM and i don't really need it - sometimes I just need some weird noises, and my impression from reading these forums is that there's plenty of weird noises in the SMM/H, though i have yet to play one. otherwise i'd just keep the DD20 because it covers all my bases except the weird factor

• Members

The DD-5/DD-6 will do that.

({censored} you, I think they sound great.)

No {censored} You...I agree.

The SMMH is not all that special...sure it gets some wackadoo sounds and some simple regular sounds...its just not as tweakable on the fly like most other EHX pedals...It still sounds good though.

• Members

Get a used Boss DD-3. It can sound awesome after a bit of tweaking. And seriously, no one will be able to tell the difference when you're playing live (not even you). Unless of course, you're using modulated delay, and for that you can get a cheap chorus pedal and run it after the DD-3. Both of them won't take up as much space as either one of the pedals they're replacing.

• Members

Get a used Boss DD-3. It can sound awesome after a bit of tweaking. And seriously, no one will be able to tell the difference when you're playing live (not even you). Unless of course, you're using modulated delay, and for that you can get a cheap chorus pedal and run it after the DD-3. Both of them won't take up as much space as either one of the pedals they're replacing.

That reminds me, you could try this:

Get out your DD-20.

Get a modulation pedal of your choice.

Guitar -> DD-20 input B

Run a cable from output B -> Mod pedal input

Mod pedal output -> DD-20 input A

And then run a lead from output A into your amp.

It's basically a ghetto effects loop that will modulate your repeats using whatever pedal you want.There are other routings that will work, but if I remember right that one works best.

I don't have my stuff with me right now or I'd go check it out, but it's definitely something to experiment with.

• Members
Eat ramen for a month and get the Timefactor. However, it's almost necessary to get at least an expression pedal, and I recommend also getting one of BTBAM's tap tempos, they are kickass.

The Timefactor. There is no rival. It is the best digital delay "pedal" available, that meets your criteria.

FIXED ;):thu:

Archived