DR Z Junior Maz 18 AMP

KjStrat62

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There's lots of Maz Jr love here and I hate to break it up, but you asked...I found them to be pretty ice-picky with a tele. Feel free to disagree...this was just my experience.

My Tele has Seymour Duncan antiquity pups. Perhaps this will be non mainstream for ice picks

• Members

There's lots of Maz Jr love here and I hate to break it up, but you asked...I found them to be pretty ice-picky with a tele. Feel free to disagree...this was just my experience.

what tele?

what settings?

tubes?

mine is no where near ice picky.

• Members

what tele?

what settings?

tubes?

mine is no where near ice picky.

I know people love them, so I've always wondered what was up.

This was in a store. They had a whole room full of them--they sell a lot of them--so I don't think it was just one that was potentially bad. I tried them with and without reverb.

The tubes would have been stock, and I suppose the speaker could have been overly stiff.

The tele was off the floor, so I can't fully vouch for that one, but it was nice and sounded great through some of the other amps I tried. I also tried it with my Les Paul Special DC (P90's), which I CAN fully vouch for, but I was not stoked there, either. I tried lots of settings, so if it is one of those amps that takes a while to figure out, I never got to that point. I did not buy it.

But, so you don't think I am a total d-head Dr. Z hater, I tried the new Mini-Z head and liked it so much I went back to buy it with the cool 2X10 cabinet but it was gone...and, as luck/fate would have it, they had the best ES-335 I had ever played, so I got that instead, and now my gear budget is shot for a while...

• Members

Where'd you get it at? I was checkin out a Carmen Ghia in guitar emporium tonight. I know that place in Lexington used to carry a lot of Dr. Z stuff

The store is in Santa Monica. They had one or two of just about every amp Dr. Z makes. Thinking about it gives me GAS for the Mini Z head again (but, not the Maz jr...).

I forgot to mention earlier that in my previous amp quest, I ended up with the TopHat Club Royale, which has a very similar tube complement to the Maz jr. (El84's, ~20 watts, etc.). I guess what prompted my response was that someone earlier mentioned that the Maz Jr was "peerless"...the TopHat was the same price, similar configuration, has similarly cool people running the company (Brian has always responded courteously, personally, and quickly to my e-mails and offered lots of good advice) and to me, sounded better/less harsh, which we all know is subjective.

Thus, to me, there is at least one peer that is worth checking out... If I were interested in a dual EL84 amp and had ~$1500 to spend on a new amp, I would check out both the Maz Jr. and the Club Royale before making any decisions. There are others that are more expensive, but for the money, the Dr Z and the TopHat are in a similar class (e.g., peers).

• Members

I was originally gonna get a Maz 18, but settled for a Maz 38 instead.
It's an amp that's like a cross between a Fender Deluxe, Vox AC30 and a Marshall amp. I do agree with guy who said about how it can be ice-picky
with a tele though. But the amp is so tweakable that you find that right sweet spot.

Here's mine:

Check out my Dr.Z, devoted thread.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1747155&highlight=fuzzface71

gear.jpg

• Members

Weems, how loud and clean can Maz 18 go expressed in TRRI vol numbers?

well i play in a loud band.

and my other guitar player uses a rectoverb. basically..

I sometimes overpower him.. Not in the cleans when he has a solo boost going though.

• Members

The non-reverb version has an effects loop.

I know, because I have one.

Excellent amp, great value for money. Stop posting and start buying.

Hmm, tough choice, I wouldn't know if I'd get the non-fx loop w/ reverb one, or the non-reverb w/fx loop-one..

I have looked into the Maz 18 Jr, but I've yet to find one in a store near me to try out..

Archived