Ernie Ball Volume Pedal

Tengo

• Members

I really apologise if this topic has come up before, I only need a few people to flame me and I'll shut up :)

I was just wondering what the difference is between the regular and the junior, aside from the price. I don't think I can justify spending huge amounts on a vol pedal, so when the junior came to my attention it really shocked me. Is the regular REALLY worth twice as much?

• Members

The size is what is different.

I couldn't do it either ... spend that much on a Volume pedal (back when I needed one). So I bought a DOD FX-17 Wah/Volume pedal. It's small, cheap (mine was $10), sturdy ... and modifiable (sorta--there are a couple of pots inside you can tweak to get different results).

The wah isn't your classic wah though ... it's much more synth-like. A lot of people have used them as a manual tremolo. Not being a traditional wah user ... I dig it.

• Members

I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure that the Jr. came out after the normal one was already in production.

And that may be a little harsh saying that "nobody's going to buy it" ... if it didn't sell, they probably wouldn't make it.

Also something to consider: this pedal is used by non-guitarists too.

• Members

i know this has been said before.. but which one do you get if you want it at the beginning of the chain?

High impedance. The con side of the Ernie Ball pedals is that they are open and the pots can get dusty and scratchy easily, there is a string that connects the pedal and if/when it breaks, you're screwed, because you can't take the thing apart.

Highly recommend Boss FV500

• Members

no but I mean, why do they sell the regular one, surely nobody's going to buy it if it's twice the price and bigger?

I remember one of the guys working at EB talking a bit about the jr line basically when it was coming out over at loopers-delight

I []think the jr line is overseas outsourced (so theres a trade balance question ,if that matters)

as far as size, well, for some guys, it's not so much a "how much can I shoehorn in" floor real-estat issue, but a feel issue (I don't mean a "mojo" issue, I mean a mechanics, proprioception issue ) so the larger pedal can give you the right resistance/leverage feel to give you fine control over volume modulation.

This will probably less of an issue if you are just looking for some form of control over levels, or you are doing broad-stroke swells

bif you are "riding" the pedal a'la a peal steel player or like Tuck Andress - then feel (and this can be a personal thing, but with some regression toward the mean - if the EB "fits the bill"...that's really a personal choice issue) can be a more sensitive issue

Think about is like a fine throttle, or a really nice two-stage trigger on a match rifle, or a clutch where feel is the deal

• Members

High impedance. The con side of the Ernie Ball pedals is that they are open and the pots can get dusty and scratchy easily, there is a string that connects the pedal and if/when it breaks, you're screwed, because you can't take the thing apart.

Generally, you don't have to take them apart to replace the string (I recommend spectra line, works well - kite stores are a good place to find it in that size. It's the same spectra you use for climbing, just smaller)

if you push it toe down you can access the back anchor for the back line

if you push it heel down you can access the front line, front anchor and the spring ( usually 3 wraps around the capstan is abt right)

if, for whatever reason, you need to take em apart, loosen the setscrews (they are countersunk in twin blocks on the underside of the actual treadle portion) that secure the treadle to the mainshft with a 2mm allen (it might be SAE, but 2mm fits just fine, if they are SAE it's like that magic 1/2" : 13mm correspondence) and slide the shaft out

• Members

Generally, you don't have to take them apart to replace the string (I recommend spectra line works well)

if you push it toe down you can access the back anchor for the back line

if you push it heel down you can access the front line, front anchor and the spring ( usually 4 wraps around the capstan)

if, for whatever reason, you need to take em apart loosen the setscrews (they are countersunk in twin blocks on the underside of the actual treadle portion) that secure the treadle to the mainshft - with a 2mm allen (it might be SAE, but 2mm fits just fine) and slide the shaft out

Ya, I should've just said they're a pain in the ass, and that the other pedal is better, because the issues w/ the EB don't exist, for the FV500.

• Members

I don't quite understand the need for the full size pedal, I know that it has existed for a long time... and it wasn't originally a guitarists thing, so the size wasn't designed for pedalboards, but more for keyboardists/pedalsteel players.

My size 11 foot and I definitely ride the volume pedal though... And the Jr. has a great feel to it, I don't really like the Dunlop style, and I can't say that I've ever used the Boss style...

My Jr. has been around since they first started shipping them a few years ago, the string and pot are both fine.

• Members

Ya, I should've just said they're a pain in the ass, and that the other pedal is better, because the issues w/ the EB don't exist, for the FV500.

yeah, I hear ya

it's knda like a lot of thinks...like restringin bigsby, adjusting the intonation on a floyd rose, est sometime you just kinda get used to and there are tricks (like learning to align the bushings when you put the shaft back in or learning to replace the string w/o disassembly

if it's "worth it" really comes down to if/how you like the feel

...if you are cool with the Roland feel, great, if you pref the EB feel, great too!

• Members
1. The Jr. line is made in Malaysia.

2. All the touring pros use the big version. It's sturdier and it feels more comfortable. The Jr. one is more like for "week-end warriors", although it's reliable and cosy, too.

Thanks very much, very helpful, everyone who replied :)

• Members
1. The Jr. line is made in Malaysia.

2. All the touring pros use the big version. It's sturdier and it feels more comfortable. The Jr. one is more like for "week-end warriors", although it's reliable and cosy, too.

I'll let you know when my Jr. breaks then. :rolleyes:

Archived