Jazzmaster / Jaguars - MIA? or CIJ?

Daryl Chaney

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well like I said I am not up on how the labor is in Japan. I'm glad you guys know so much about working conditions in the far east though. Generally when a product from over seas is cheaper it's because of labor. You see this all the time. Anything to raise their numbers just a little because this quarter has to be better than the last. Regardless I would still buy american.

Gretsch are the company that really take the piss. Overseas built guitars with a US price tag... nice.

CIJ Jazzmaster pickups - Strat pups pretty much as others have said. I sold mine for

• Members
how is the bridge and tremolo any different on an MIA than a japanese one?

Slightly different trem design. I don't think the trem arm from a US Jazzmaster fits a Japanese Jazzmaster and vice versa. Bridgewise I haven't found any real difference. In fact, they share the one major characteristic: whatever country it's from, the bridge design is horrible :D

• Members

wow, i expected this to nose dive into the abyss of HCFX, :wave:

Yea, im not sure if i can justify buying a $1400 guitar just because its MIA.

As i said i got a CIJ Baritone Jag and its fantastic, needs a little setup to fix slight fret buzz cause i changed string gauges but other than that its super.

No issues with the build quality of it. Only thing i need to replace would be the PUPS.

God damn ! i was wondering why i couldnt see them anywhere. :mad:

Well, im in europe, I can get a CIJ jazz/jag for

• Members

Yeah, it's definitely not cheap labor or sweat shops or anything like that. Japan's labor system is just as advanced as in america, probably even more so. The way I look at it, there must be a reason why Fender america won't let fender Japan sell their products in the U.S. They must feel it would threaten their sales.

exactly,fender japan build and finish quality is flawless.

excluding the electronics(which arent actually too bad) they are guitars of such a high quality that when fender USA visited the japan factory some years back they(japan) got told to lower the quality of the fenders they make.....they didnt!

lets face facts,only reasons people buy mia is because (A)they want a specific guitar japan doesnt offer.(B)they cant install new pups themself, or © they want street cred (A&C most likely imo).

i have a vintage 66 fender and its great but my cij jaguar is easily my favorite guitar.

people will continue to knock fender japan in an effort to make fender US come across as far superior,when in fact its not....its not at all superior imo.

fender US have some nice guitars but for the money id rather buy a jap fender with US pups already in it or a jap fender and rewire it with new electronics myself, needless to say i wont be buying mia anytime in teh future.....unless its a 1960's guitar of course.

my 2cents.

• Members

exactly,fender japan build and finish quality is flawless.

excluding the electronics(which arent actually too bad) they are guitars of such a high quality that when fender USA visited the japan factory some years back they(japan) got told to lower the quality of the fenders they make.....they didnt!

lets face facts,only reasons people buy mia is because (A)they want a specific guitar japan doesnt offer.(B)they cant install new pups themself, or (C) they want street cred (A&C most likely imo).

i have a vintage 66 fender and its great but my cij jaguar is easily my favorite guitar.

people will continue to knock fender japan in an effort to make fender US come across as far superior,when in fact its not....its not at all superior imo.

fender US have some nice guitars but for the money id rather buy a jap fender with US pups already in it or a jap fender and rewire it with new electronics myself, needless to say i wont be buying mia anytime in teh future.....unless its a 1960's guitar of course.

my 2cents.

You live in Australia of course buying American isn't a big deal to you. I just take a certain level on pride in things that are crafted in my country. I am glad that some of my money goes to paying a worker in the US a good wage. We are shipping every job we can to another country. I was wrong in this case about labor in Japan. I know they're more evolved in their labor laws I just didn't know how far but I had assumed similar quality, cheaper price would equal cheaper labor. We are destroying the middle class in this country and it is destroying our economy. That's why if I can buy american I do.

btw americas number one export is waste paper. Waste! Can you believe that?

• Members

You live in Australia of course buying American isn't a big deal to you. I just take a certain level on pride in things that are crafted in my country. I am glad that some of my money goes to paying a worker in the US a good wage. We are shipping every job we can to another country. I was wrong in this case about labor in Japan. I know they're more evolved in their labor laws I just didn't know how far but I had assumed similar quality, cheaper price would equal cheaper labor. We are destroying the middle class in this country and it is destroying our economy. That's why if I can buy american I do.

btw americas number one export is waste paper. Waste! Can you believe that?

I agree 100% and always try to buy American made products when I can. But, in this case I wanted a specific style that wasn't available from an American company unless I bought a vintage guitar (too much dough), built one myself (I do not trust my skills in this at all) or ordered from Japan. I figured I would need to put a bunch more money into it to get it as playable as an American made one, but when I got it I was surprised (rather pleasantly) that the guitar was built very solidly and just needed a pickup swap (which I would've done anyways) and a few other minor tweaks. My new pickups are American made so I did support our economy a little. Vintage Vibe Jaguar size P90's are great by the way.

• Members

I agree 100% and always try to buy American made products when I can. But, in this case I wanted a specific style that wasn't available from an American company unless I bought a vintage guitar (too much dough), built one myself (I do not trust my skills in this at all) or ordered from Japan. I figured I would need to put a bunch more money into it to get it as playable as an American made one, but when I got it I was surprised (rather pleasantly) that the guitar was built very solidly and just needed a pickup swap (which I would've done anyways) and a few other minor tweaks. My new pickups are American made so I did support our economy a little. Vintage Vibe Jaguar size P90's are great by the way.

I am not trying to preach but it's extremely important people realize how important the middle class is and what kind of jobs are being out sourced now.

I can understand that too btw. I'm building a Warmoth guitar myself right now. I want something to take to clubs thats not so expensive.

• Members

Other countries have been aware of the whole 'middle class' destruction for ages. About three or four years ago I remember an article in a Toronto newspaper about the middle classes being the new poor. That goes in line with the increasing gap between the poorest and the wealthiest in our populations. The rich-poor gap gets wider not just because the wealthiest are getting richer but because it's harder to the poorer ones to become wealthy. You don't have the same career paths that used to exist.

I sympathise with those middle-class jobs being lost in America but it's American companies who are causing the destruction of those jobs. Fender and Gibson could go down a Rickenbacker path and say 'Right, no overseas, no cheapness, we'll sell US guitars' but they're not like that. They want all the markets. They want the money. They want to sell cheap guitars in supermarkets. It's American companies who are {censored}ing American employment markets, same as it's British companies {censored}ing British employment markets.

I'm still amazed at people who are surprised that Japanese-built guitars are built really well.

• Members

Theres just one thing I don't get about this whole Jaguar/ Jazzmaster thing. I've always wanted a Jazzmaster, but I'll never get a MIA version until i can figure this out. Why is a MIA Jazz/Jag $400 more than MIA strats/Teles? do they really cost that much more to make? or are we paying for the vintage noveltiness?

• Members
No. In this instance, a member of the middle class pressed the wrong button too soon and then had to edit his post. Another member of the middle class then commented on this midway through the process
:)

People who work factory jobs are the middle class in america (at least you would assume so with how much they pay people who work on assembly lines in car plants 40-50 an hour).

• Members

how is the bridge and tremolo any different on an MIA than a japanese one?

Because the Japanese ones are metric and everyone knows that you can't rock properly using the Metric System!

;)

I've owned a vintage Jazzmaster, two MIJ Jaguars and a CIJ J.Mascis Jazzmaster and the bridges & Trems were all pretty much the same (give or take a few millimeters.) I felt no difference playability-wise (except that the JM JM has a tune-o-matic bridge which works just a little bit better.)

• Members
Theres just one thing I don't get about this whole Jaguar/ Jazzmaster thing. I've always wanted a Jazzmaster, but I'll never get a MIA version until i can figure this out. Why is a MIA Jazz/Jag $400 more than MIA strats/Teles? do they really cost that much more to make? or are we paying for the vintage noveltiness?

see second post in this thread (mine) :)

no one has answered it really either.

and why not mexican Jags?

• Members

Hmmm, as a MIJ Jag owner I personally think the MIA ones do look a bit better. The sunburst ones are a bit darker and nicer looking than the MIJ or CIJ.

But, if you're getting an MIJ or CIJ with the intention of upgrading pickups (a good idea in my personal experience) I'd really recommend going all out for Curt Novak jag pickups.

I went from stock MIJ pickups to Seymour Duncan SJAG-1 and it was an improvement in fidelity, but I lost a bit of that Fender character, they were awesome at low volumes but could easily sound shrill at rehearsal and live performance volumes.

So now I'm rockin the Curt Novaks, they have the fidelity and clarity of the Duncans, but they're totally Fender sounding, a bit lower output than the Duncan's too as far as I can tell. They've made my reissue MIJ Jaguar sound like a seriously good vintage Fender.

They're pricey though at $80 per pickup but worth it in every way.

• Members

Other countries have been aware of the whole 'middle class' destruction for ages. About three or four years ago I remember an article in a Toronto newspaper about the middle classes being the new poor. That goes in line with the increasing gap between the poorest and the wealthiest in our populations. The rich-poor gap gets wider not just because the wealthiest are getting richer but because it's harder to the poorer ones to become wealthy. You don't have the same career paths that used to exist.

I sympathise with those middle-class jobs being lost in America but it's American companies who are causing the destruction of those jobs. Fender and Gibson could go down a Rickenbacker path and say 'Right, no overseas, no cheapness, we'll sell US guitars' but they're not like that. They want all the markets. They want the money. They want to sell cheap guitars in supermarkets. It's American companies who are {censored}ing American employment markets, same as it's British companies {censored}ing British employment markets.

I'm still amazed at people who are surprised that Japanese-built guitars are built really well.

Yes it is the corporations they have no allegiance to anyone other than their share holders. They're multi nationalists who don't care about people they care about their figures being better this quarter than the last. The thing that pisses me off is that an American company who makes their product overseas at their foreign subsidiary can sell the products in the american market then funnel the money through the Bahamas or other tax haven countries to avoid paying US tax dollars and nothings ever done about it!

Archived