High Impedance of Fuzz

bmast160

• Moderators

Most pedals are high impedance in, low impedance out.

The interaction of a fuzz (like the fuzzface) with the guitar, has much to do with the inductance of the pickups connected to the fuzz input and less to do with impedance.

It is well known that certain wah pedals will cause oscillation when driving a fuzzface input... the cure? Buffer the wah output...

Pedal impedance: http://www.muzique.com/lab/imp.htm

regards, Jack

• Members

so why do buffer/line driver pedals suggest putting fuzz before the buffer...because the buffer would not allow the inductace interaction between the guitar and fuzz? also what if you have two fuzz pedals connected directly to the guitar (guitar->fuzz1->fuzz2->buffer->etc.). If fuzz1 is off and true bypass will fuzz2 interact well with the inductace of the guitar just as it would if it was in the position that fuzz1 is in?

also so you agree that fuzz effects work better when they can interact with the inductance of the guitar?
are there other effects that work better before a buffer to allow the inductance interaction of the guitar to occur?

• Moderators

There are very few pedals that actually have serious interaction with the guitar pickups. I can only think of 3 or 4. Most pedals have a moderately high input impedance and can tolerate many types of input signals.

The majority of overdrive and boost pedals don't have much interaction with the guitar, which is how they were designed to act.

regards, Jack

• Members

well then your not answering my question. i want to know why

why it sounds better?

it doesn't, it just sounds different....what sounds better you you might sound worse to me.

so to answer the original question, no I don't agree...it subjective.

• Members

this was my question...

so why do buffer/line driver pedals suggest putting fuzz before the buffer...because the buffer would not allow the inductace interaction between the guitar and fuzz? also what if you have two fuzz pedals connected directly to the guitar (guitar->fuzz1->fuzz2->buffer->etc.). If fuzz1 is off and true bypass will fuzz2 interact well with the inductace of the guitar just as it would if it was in the position that fuzz1 is in?

and what is the electronic interaction between fuzz pedal circuitry and the inductance of the guitar...what is happening to the signal that is not happening if you run it later in the line(after a buffer)...are the transistors in the pedal getting a better signal or cleaner signal or what? i dont know? thats why im asking.

• Members

this was my question...

and what is the electronic interaction between fuzz pedal circuitry and the inductance of the guitar...what is happening to the signal that is not happening if you run it later in the line(after a buffer)...are the transistors in the pedal getting a better signal or cleaner signal or what? i dont know? thats why im asking.

It just boils down to this: a good fuzz pedal is reactive. It is reactive to the impedance, the inductance, the voltage, the current, etc. It is sensitive, and it will vary its response depending on what it senses. Without needing to get too technical, the bottom line is you want a reactive amplifier to "hear" the guitar, the strings, the pickups, your fingers, your pick attack. You don't want it to "hear" the sound of a buffer, where all those subtleties have already been gobbled up and turned into a sterile signal. Instead of having dynamic ebbs and flows of signal, like your pickup would produce, a buffer creates more of a constant, high-intensity signal. The lack of the guitar pickup's inductance interacting with the fuzz pedal's input, and instead a low-impedance, amplified version of the signal being present, results in a much brighter, more "electronic" and less "organic" tone, in oldschool fuzz circuits, generally speaking.

• Members

Another way of looking at it is that old-fashioned fuzz pedals generally have low input impedance. Which is a way of saying that they "suck" a lot of the current from the input signal. When a guitar is plugged directly into such a circuit, the pickups are being "loaded" by that circuit; their current is being drawn into it. The circuit assumes this relationship in its design, and is made so that it turns this situation into a pleasing tone.

When a guitar is plugged into a buffer, generally that buffer has high input impedance, which is to say that it does not draw a lot of current from the signal. A guitar's signal going into a buffer has nowhere to go; it is not being drained. So it will retain a lot more of its brightness, but it will also "lose" a bit of its dynamic range. Its noise level will increase, all other things being equal, for example. Its dynamic range--the difference in tone between loud and soft--will diminish, for example.

In many settings, a buffer is actually desirable, since it eliminates a lot of variables in the equation and gives you much more control over the signal, and it prevents the loss of highs.

• Moderators

are the transistors in the pedal getting a better signal or cleaner signal or what? i dont know? thats why im asking.

The inductance of the pickups, the capacitance of the guitar cable and the input impedance of the fuzz will make a resonant peak that colors the sound.

regards, Jack

Archived