MICROPHONES

bmast160

• Members

im looking to get a microphone and i wanted some recommendations...

i was looking at the shure beta 87a and the electro voice re20...

itll be used for vocals and i want something that is wont get damaged easily and is really good quality

i was also thinking of using it with the two tc helicon voicetone pedals and mogami cables into the vocal input of one of my amps...

The SM7-b and the RE-20 are somewhat similar microphones in that they're both large diaphragm dynamics. The 7b gets a lot of love for hard rock and "screamer" vocalists in a lot of studios. I don't own one, but I've used many of them, and they're good microphones.

However, I think the RE20 is a GREAT microphone. It's one of those "desert island" mikes - it's a solid vocal mic, and it is fantastic on kick drums, bass and guitar cabinets... and sax and horns. Really - IMHO, one of the all time "classic" microphones.

• Members

i'd be using either the ev re20 or shure beta87a for vocals...id be plugging them into two tc helicon voicetone pedals which can supply the phantom power...then it would go into a vocal input on one of my amps....probably eventually use a mixer instead.

• Members

i'd be using either the ev re20 or shure beta87a for vocals...id be plugging them into two tc helicon voicetone pedals which can supply the phantom power...then it would go into a vocal input on one of my amps....probably eventually use a mixer instead.

what do you think about using it live with this phil?

• Members

i go to phil for my mic info.... lol. having said that, anthony from chili peppers uses the sm7 a lot for studio stuff. it doesn't take the female voice that well though but you can hit it pretty hard and it still sounds great. I also have a AT4050 that i love for vocals. It can definitely hang with some more expensive mics.

Archived