What's happening to EHX

bmast160

• Members

maybe its just me but it seems like EHX is loosing steam...their effects are still good but they used to be the best...best in the business in the 70s and 80s and now it seems like there are so many other possibilities that are moving them more to a "middle of the pack" status as just good effects...especially with all the re-releases of old effects and updates on existing effects(i.e. electric mistress->stereo electric mistress, memory man->stereo memory man->stereo memory man with harazi, holy grail->holier grail->holiest grail->stereo holy grail, etc). I like that you dont have to spend a fortune on the pedals because they are re-released but I guess it just doesnt seem like they are coming out with the "revolutionary" and new stuff that they did in the early days(i do love the pog tho). also it seems like they're moving a lot of their stuff from analog to digital...i like the smaller boxes but i think a lot of them are digital now...what of the XO line is analog and what is digital.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wish they'd only be digital where it is necessary, like the pog/hog and holy grail, looper, SMMH. I also am sick of the new enclosures. I'll say it now. They suck! If only they had just taken the original enclosures and scaled them down....

EHX needs to rethink what they are making now. The POG was innovative, I'll give them that. But enough with minor changes to classics!

I don't mind them RI stuff though. In fact, I wish they'd RI more stuff. Like the original standard Memory Man, or the deluxe Big Muff PI.

Maybe they could make an analog multi effect. LPB-1, BM, SC, SS, DMM. All in one big box.

• Members

I wish they'd only be digital where it is necessary, like the pog/hog and holy grail, looper, SMMH. I also am sick of the new enclosures. I'll say it now. They suck! If only they had just taken the original enclosures and scaled them down....

EHX needs to rethink what they are making now. The POG was innovative, I'll give them that. But enough with minor changes to classics!

I don't mind them RI stuff though. In fact, I wish they'd RI more stuff. Like the original standard Memory Man, or the deluxe Big Muff PI.

Maybe they could make an analog multi effect. LPB-1, BM, SC, SS, DMM. All in one big box.

well at least its not just me....just seems like they're not driving creativity and not pushing the best quality sound that they can create with the technology available and kind of just looking to what they've done before

• Members

well at least its not just me....just seems like they're not driving creativity and not pushing the best quality sound that they can create with the technology available and kind of just looking to what they've done before

They've got stuff that no one else can touch though. Flanger Hoax? HOG and POG? SMMH? The older stuff speaks for itself.

• Members

I agree. There's not much new stuff coming from them, and they could reissue some other pedals. I want the treble booster that you plugged into the guitar to be reissued. The Screaming Tree I think. I also want a frequency analyzer in a muff sized case. And some NEW and INNOVATIVE pedals!

• Members

This is the weirdest thread I have read, in that it doesn't gel with my experience at all.

Who else makes an analog synth?

Who else makes a polyphonic synth that doesn't require a special pickup?

EHX responds to customer demand by bringing back classic effects, and you slag them?

EHX responds to customer demand by going for small enclosures with standard PS inputs, and you're unhappy?

No one does what EHX does on a mass scale. No other mass manufacturer is going to create FX with so many outrageous settings.

Finally, for those who care, how many big companies still build in the USA and charge a fair price?

I'm not dogging the above posters, but EHX is, hands down, the most unique and prolific of pedals in my opinion.

• Members

They've got stuff that no one else can touch though. Flanger Hoax? HOG and POG? SMMH? The older stuff speaks for itself.

i agree that some of there stuff is great but them as a company just dont seem to be what they were in the 70s and 80s..."the older stuff that speaks for itself"

they had some of the highest quality stuff available then, using the best technology available and now they just seem to have lost steam and arent pushing like they used to...

• Members

Wasn't that treble booster the "Screaming Bird?" If you like it you could get the Krank Distortus Maximus pedal, it's just a Screaming Bird treble booster feeding a Smashdrive freely-available DIY distortion pedal... a really good one, at that. I bet that pedal sounds good, shame it's $220 and claims to be "the great Krank sound in a box."

That said -

I don't really think EHX has ever been "the best," though they are one of the most consistently creative and fun pedal makers (what does it mean to be "the best" when it's all so subjective anyway? I mean, there are probably people who think Boss is "the best," and you can't exactly formulate an argument to talk someone out of a subjective preference), and I am quite happy with their current offerings. They're good in my book :)

• Members

This is the weirdest thread I have read, in that it doesn't gel with my experience at all.

Who else makes an analog synth?

Who else makes a polyphonic synth that doesn't require a special pickup?

EHX responds to customer demand by bringing back classic effects, and you slag them?

EHX responds to customer demand by going for small enclosures with standard PS inputs, and you're unhappy?

No one does what EHX does on a mass scale. No other mass manufacturer is going to create FX with so many outrageous settings.

Finally, for those who care, how many big companies still build in the USA and charge a fair price?

I'm not dogging the above posters, but EHX is, hands down, the most unique and prolific of pedals in my opinion.

i agree that some of their stuff is great...but they're just not pushing the best available technology, like they used to. seems like others are...they might be smaller places but they are...

EHX was pretty huge in the past too and they were still using the best quality components but now just seems like there is so much other stuff that has edge on them

• Members

they have. worm. all analogue modulation multi-effects. didn't get much success though, due to its noise issues. i'm not a big fan of multi-effects. whether they're analogue or digital.

• Members

they are digital???

they have. worm. all analogue
modulation
multi-effects. didn't get much success though, due to its noise issues. i'm not a big fan of multi-effects. whether they're analogue or digital.

Yeah, they are digital, but sound warm.

The worm ain't so hot, so I think they need to try it again with their more popular effects.

• Members

I think they are coming out with awesome stuff, but like bmast160 said, not like they used to. But I also feel like the best stuff that they are coming out with is really inaccessible for most people. The HOG looks amazing, but I can't drop $500 on it. They don't have many single effect type stompboxes that just amaze you coming out. The OD pedal, the delay pedal, and a few pre-existing pedals rehoused. I wants more.

• Members

two big ones that i think are worth mentioning are...

moog

keeley

there are lots of smaller ones...but they can be a bit pricey

Keeley =/= innovative

how is a 3 boost pedals, a compressor, a fuzz, and a wah pedal w/o the treadle innovative :confused:

:poke:

• Members

What other companies make stuff along the same lines that you can find in any Guitar Center or what have you for the prices they go for?

Some moog pedals cost as much as some guitars do and I'm not knocking Keeley, but he's best known for modding other popular pedal designs. EHX is easily the most innovative pedal company out of the big mass-market companies. And they're affordable to boot.

• Members

Keeley =/= innovative

how is a 3 boost pedals, a compressor, a fuzz, and a wah pedal w/o the treadle innovative
:confused:

:poke:

lol. i just think they are doing cool stuff using really great technology and parts and creating things that sound great...

the some of the design concepts are similar and some are different but they are using some of the best parts and technology that they can and still keep the costs pretty low.

ehx used to make there stuff with the some of the "best" designs and parts in the business and now they dont seem to be...all im saying

• Members

What other companies make stuff along the same lines that you can find in any Guitar Center or what have you for the prices they go for?

Some moog pedals cost as much as some guitars do and I'm not knocking Keeley, but he's best known for modding other popular pedal designs. EHX is easily the most innovative pedal company out of the big mass-market companies. And they're affordable to boot.

i gotcha but i guess thats my point...they used to be the type of company that you went for...for "the best" and more crafted stuff and now it seems like they are just good...and mass marketed...and the part/tech quality is slippin a little

whatever...i just wanted to see what others thought

• Members

There's a lot of innovative stuff going on out there, but EHX haven't lost anything, IMO. The SMMH is one of the coolest things to come out of the FX industry in a long time. Before that, the H.O.G. and P.O.G., the Flanger Hoax, the Stereo PolyPhase, and the Tube Zipper were all tastefully innovative designs. That's already a lot for one company in the last 5 years.

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but the Worm and the Wiggler are among my favorite effects, period. PureTube designed sleepers with those. The more I use them, the more I think they are the richest, creamiest modulation pedals EHX ever released. :love:

Archived