Am i going to blow up my new guitar pedal? Ac adaptor question...

Vedder323

• Members

I just bought a used Seymour duncan Twin Tube classic and it didnt come with an ac adapter. The sales person at guitar center mentioned i can pick up one at radio shack and even if it has more voltage, it will work just fine. To make a long story short... i bought a 18 voltage 1 amp and the unit has a requirement of 16 voltage 560 ma.

Am i good to go or asking for trouble???

• Members

it depends. SOME pedals like the fulltone OCD can take higher voltages.

but if it doesn't say, I think you should stick with the original adapter.

be careful cause if it breaks by using a different adapter, you may not be able to get a warranty.

• Members

From the manual (about the adapter):

Note: it is a 16 VAC/600mA unit. Do not try

to substitute a DC power supply or another AC supply with a different

voltage value or current rating. If you lose your transformer or if it breaks,

contact an authorized Seymour Duncan dealer for a replacement. As an alternative, for North America and Japan, you can order a 16 VAC/600mA transformer from Digi-Key (www.digikey.com). The part numbers for each common voltage are as follows:

1. North America: 120 Volt/60Hz

• Members
NEVER listen to the people at GC.

They lie. I am convinced they are a.) paid to lie or b.) fed false information to tell potential customers

I guess those are kind of similar though. I don't know. Moral of the post: find advice/help/whatever elsewhere.

sure, I can see it now:

"this pedal doesn't have the power supply with it"

"oh, don't worry about that, just knock $10 off and tell them to buy something from Radio Shack"

"but radio shack don't sell these power supplies"

"well just tell them to buy any old power supply, as long as it works for a while they'll think it was thier fault it blew up, just say anything to get rid of it"

:rolleyes:

• Members

I just bought a used Seymour duncan Twin Tube classic and it didnt come with an ac adapter. The sales person at guitar center mentioned i can pick up one at radio shack and even if it has more voltage, it will work just fine. To make a long story short... i bought a 18 voltage 1 amp and the unit has a requirement of 16 voltage 560 ma.

Am i good to go or asking for trouble???

Don't use a power supply with a higher voltage than needed. Go buy a 16 v instead

• Members

Well i picked up a direct replacement according to the manual last night at digikey... only problem is its on back order. Oh well, considering the pedal cost me $113 and the adapter is $7... i think i did alright...

I sure hope this pedals tone is worth the wait.

• Members

Well i picked up a direct replacement according to the manual last night at digikey... only problem is its on back order. Oh well, considering the pedal cost me $113 and the adapter is $7... i think i did alright...

I sure hope this pedals tone is worth the wait.

cool....for 7 bucks I don't think it was worth the risk.

Archived