BIG Low end distortion/OD

shirokuma

• Members

I am looking for more low end out of my dist/OD.. Any suggestions?

I currently use the amp distortion channels and a ts9. I am looking to get the deep sounds minus the bear, meshuggah, deftones, fall of troy etc...

I play 7 string and a 6 string Ibanez tuned down to C sharp standard, through a mesa dual rec.

I just want more umph.. Low end balls.. a friend suggested getting an Orange amp...?

• Members

I currently use the amp distortion channels and a ts9. I am looking to get the deep sounds minus the bear, meshuggah, deftones, fall of troy etc...

I play 7 string and a 6 string Ibanez tuned down to C sharp standard, through a mesa dual rec.

I just want more umph.. Low end balls.. a friend suggested getting an Orange amp...?

Ibanez Black Coffee soundtank?

• Members

hmm never heard of it.. i will research now. thanksyou sir!!

before modding and boutique stuff went crazy ... around 2000 they were made and I think Devi Ever was a strong supporter of this pedal. I never played one, but it was talked upa lot, probably one of the more sought after soundtank line that ibanez put out...

• Members

your mesa doesn't cut it? i'm suprised, the mesa/ts combo is pretty killer...

are you cranking it sufficiently? i know this is the fx forum, but i'd spend the money on an attenuator first, a rectifier needs to be working a little, or it's all buzz.

• Members

your mesa doesn't cut it? i'm suprised, the mesa/ts combo is pretty killer...

are you cranking it sufficiently? i know this is the fx forum, but i'd spend the money on an attenuator first, a rectifier
needs
to be working a little, or it's all buzz.

i love my mesa. i crank it. maybe i just need to tweak my tone and start using the neck pickups more for that ballsy sound... ? anyhwo.. the bb preamp is on my list now.. dammit!!! I thought i was done buying....

• Members

An EQ in the loop might get you more results than a dirt pedal before the amp, my friend. Cut bass going into the preamp, boost the hell out of it coming out. Distorted bass sounds funky as hell and gives a very loose character to your amp's distortion, whereas keeping the bass level low cleans it up significantly and then putting it back in afterwards equals very tight gain with huge response.

Your guitar, pickups, pedals, amp, speakers, and cabinet construction obviously place limits on how well this will work, but I would say pretty often the only thing missing from the equation is an EQ in the loop.

• Members

An EQ in the loop might get you more results than a dirt pedal before the amp, my friend. Cut bass going into the preamp, boost the hell out of it coming out. Distorted bass sounds funky as hell and gives a very loose character to your amp's distortion, whereas keeping the bass level low cleans it up significantly and then putting it back in afterwards equals very tight gain with huge response.

Your guitar, pickups, pedals, amp, speakers, and cabinet construction obviously place limits on how well this will work, but I would say pretty often the only thing missing from the equation is an EQ in the loop.

damn. i just sold my eq. but i have friends... i will try this sir. thank you! sounds like you know what your talking bout.

• Members

the best "metal" tone i have ever heard came from someone who just used a triple recto with a stereo 31 band graphic eq on top, one channel before the preamp, one after. the sound was incredible.

• Members

With due respect mate, you're never going to cop MTB, Meshuggah and Deftones sounds from the same pedal.

Dave knudson uses a TS9 for overdrive, I believe. The others use amps.

Stephen Carpenter used to use marshall JMP1 preamps and 9100 power amps, but more recently made the switch to Line6 stuff. I think.

No idea about Meshuggah, but theirs is a hard tone to replicate and I think you'll really struggle without a good metal amp, an 8 string guitar and a {censored} ton of ability.

Archived