Rats and ther op-amps

separanets

• Members

Hi,

I've got three rats with three different op-amps and they all sound differently:

Small Box White Face with LM308N by National Semiconducter

Big Box Reissue with LM308N by Motorola

Big Box Reissue with LM308AN by ???

What bothers me is that the Big Box LM308AN is the noisest out of all the three and sounds closer to the White Face.

Can you give a bit more information about LM308N and LM308AN in Reissues? Where on chips I can read who made them?

Thanks.

• Members
  • Members

can i get this kind of tone with a rat?

Most definitely. I've got a new turbo rat w/lm308 and that's pretty much what it does (and a lot more, but that's my favorite setting).

Word on the street is that Thom Yorke ran two turbo rats in series for the Ok Computer tour.

• Members

I thought the Turbo Rat had another op-amp. I bought mine and returned it on the next day and later replaced with a Deucetone that I love. I think in a Rat the gain must be set over 12 o'clock to correspond the drive in that clip. What happend to the telecaster, I saw a big dent on it; mice?

• Members

I thought the Turbo Rat had another op-amp. I bought mine and returned it on the next day and later replaced with a Deucetone that I love. I think in a Rat the gain must be set over 12 o'clock to correspond the drive in that clip. What happend to the telecaster, I saw a big dent on it; mice?

Turbo Rats used the LM308 until 2003ish just like the rest of the Rats.

• Members

Most definitely. I've got a new turbo rat w/lm308 and that's pretty much what it does (and a lot more, but that's my favorite setting).

Word on the street is that Thom Yorke ran two turbo rats in series for the Ok Computer tour.

do the turbo rats come with the lm308? or was that a mod you did?

• Members

I always thought the really old ones had a metal can type LM308. not a chip. Supposedly "better" sounding. I don't know much about the history and changes of the 308, or how it differs from brand to brand. In general, IC's with the same part number have the same general specs. Of course, that doesnt mean they will all sound the same.

• Members

I've had a keeley mod rat with the 308 and i have an original and they were almost nothing alike. the keeley is much much darker and has a ton more gain on tap. the original is the most "amp like" sounding box i've ever used (as far as hi gain pedals go). i don't know if that has to do with the chip differences or not. I've never tried a mod that nailed the original... but i haven't tried the fkr yet though.

Archived