Just ordered a ProCo Rat2

denimboy

• Members

Order a LM308N-chip and get a 1K trimpot to replace the ruetz-mod resistor. I did this to my RAT2 and it really, really improved the pedal. It is a really good pedal stock too, but with these mods it's amazing and much more versatile.

I'm gonna see how well it does stock. I'll have to compare both modded and stock to know if I'm really interested into the mod.

• Members

In what sense?

"Very good" by HCEF standards will be "{censored}ing mind blowing", by mine, you realise!
;)

The difference between the stock RAT2 and the ruetz-modded RAT2 (one resistor cut off) is that while the stock RAT2 has got twice the amount of gain, but a big lack of bass and too much midrange. The ruetz-modded RAT2 hasn't got as much gain, but has got a more balanced sound with more bass. My problem with the ruetz-mod was that it didn't have enough gain, it was more of an overdrive pedal.

If you replace that resistor with a 1K trimpot, you can go from stock RAT2 to ruetz-modded RAT2, and anything in between. So basically, you can have a more balanced sound with more bass, but still have enough gain for your needs. I set my trimpot somewhere in the middle and that's perfect for me. The gain-knob is now usable even up to 11.

The LM308N-chip doesn't add versatility. It does however remove some of the harshness and make the RAT2 sound better overall. It is the chip that was in the vintage rats and what have them their sound.

• Members

The difference between the stock RAT2 and the ruetz-modded RAT2 (one resistor cut off) is that while the stock RAT2 has got twice the amount of gain, but a big lack of bass and too much midrange. The ruetz-modded RAT2 hasn't got as much gain, but has got a more balanced sound with more bass. My problem with the ruetz-mod was that it didn't have enough gain, it was more of an overdrive pedal.

If you replace that resistor with a 1K trimpot, you can go from stock RAT2 to ruetz-modded RAT2, and anything in between. So basically, you can have a more balanced sound with more bass, but still have enough gain for your needs. I set my trimpot somewhere in the middle and that's perfect for me. The gain-knob is now usable even up to 11.

The LM308N-chip doesn't add versatility. It does however remove some of the harshness and make the RAT2 sound better overall. It is the chip that was in the vintage rats and what have them their sound.

That is interesting. However my amp got LOT of bass. I'm gonna see the results with the stock rat. Maybe I'll mod it someday.

• Members

People seem to like the Keeley RAT2. From the description, it seems to the same thing (add more bass). Though you won't get the trimpot, the results seem to be similar. And it adds a LM308 too.

Excellent. Ah-thank you, sir.

• Members

i didnt notice any difference in changing stock IC for a LM308.

RAT is relatively expensive and had i know all the possible mods before i would have built it myself (i am even considering to build a new one instead of mod)

Archived