Tube Amp/Effects Frustration: Help needed, long post

krisnrg

• Members

I really think that the OCD would be the right move for you. It really does sound great at any volume and you can clean it up with the volume knob on your guitar.

Try this before you do anything drastic like getting rid of the Hot Rod, I think that they are great amps for the price.

• Members

There are a few things that I would suggest to you especially since I work at a church, have been a FOH engineer and also a regularly gigging guitar player.

1. Remember that you will most likely ALWAYS have problems with stage volumes in this settings. Most churches have underfunded sound systems and it doesn't take much to over power them especially with a brutally loud amp like the HTRD.

2. Turn your amp around (facing the stage wall) and/or cover it with a moving blanket. Not the most ideal but it sure does help.

3. DON'T sell that amp to the church. It will never be used properly and will waste their funds that could be placed in a better solution. Instead, you could ask them to buy the blackheart (we're doing this now) or invest in an amp shield. http://www.clearsonic.com/1x12amps.htm

• Members

Hmm that amp shield thing looks interesting... yeah maybe they should buy the Blackheart it's cheaper too. I'll prolly just end up buying it and keeping both.

Last thing guys. I understand pre-amp distortion is from my drive channel but the pre-amp is the same thing and a distortion isn't it? It's solid state. Might a well use like a really good distortion.

• Members

i used to use a peavey classic 30 in church and it was too loud. i also grew to dislike the sound of it contrary to most people here.

i bought a bassman for my live shows with my band and a fender pro junior for playing at church or any other small gigs. I have found i play the pro junior more and more and i REALLY love the sound of it. check it out for an amp that you can get good cleans out of at low volumes and takes pedals great.

• Members

I used to play in church with a HRdlx i had the same problems the sweet spot is to loud for church and anything lower sound flat.

now i play a 25 watts peavy Bravo.

I rock the Bravo too, picked it up dead off C-list for $50, replaced the Tube board fuse and it works great.. Use the JJ EL84's and it sounds better, gonna add a Eminence 10" in a ported enclosure with a variable tweeter soon, maybe a Hotplate too.

FYI an EL84 puts out max 8watts, so Bravo puts out 16 watts at max, 30w no way no how...makes you wonder why guys need 120....

• Members

I rock the Bravo too, picked it up dead off C-list for $50, replaced the Tube board fuse and it works great.. Use the JJ EL84's and it sounds better, gonna add a Eminence 10" in a ported enclosure with a variable tweeter soon, maybe a Hotplate too.

FYI an EL84 puts out max 8watts, so Bravo puts out 16 watts at max, 30w no way no how...makes you wonder why guys need 120....

either way the amp is pretty loud.

what are some of you favorite settings for the bravo?

mine are like so.

Clean:

Bright OFF

Volume 2.5

Bottom 5

Body 5

treble 7

Dirty:

Pre 7

Post (to taste)

bottom 6

body 4.5

treble 5.5

reverb at around 2

• Members

either way the amp is pretty loud.

what are some of you favorite settings for the bravo?

mine are like so.

Clean:

Bright OFF

Volume 2.5

Bottom 5

Body 5

treble 7

Dirty:

Pre 7

Post (to taste)

bottom 6

body 4.5

treble 5.5

reverb at around 2

Sounds about right, my reverb screams above "5" maybe need to bag the tank, I always peg my Pre often with the "ultra" pulled, clean I tend not to use,

Am trying better Opamps in the reverb circuit, let you know if it sounds better for ~$5

• Members

If you want to keep the Hot Rod, the best option imo is to mic it off stage in another room or something. I use a Hot Rod Dlx @ church as well as a Deluxe Reverb. My amps can be cranked now, but still with no stage volume. So I'm happy, the sound guy's happy, etc. We do use in-ear monitors, so the draw back is that the eq in them sucks. But fortunately the sound in the ears isn't what's coming out in the house. So it's a fair compromise for me.

• Members
Sounds about right, my reverb screams above "5" maybe need to bag the tank, I always peg my Pre often with the "ultra" pulled, clean I tend not to use,

Am trying better Opamps in the reverb circuit, let you know if it sounds better for ~$5

You mean the whistling-feedback thingy, it can be kinda cool sometimes.

I do that too. the boost pulled n the ultra. cut the mids a bit to like 3 boost the bass, and treble and it sounds like a muff :)

Archived