How Does Ebay Work?

amaleelake

• Members

Hi guys - I have never used ebay before and I don't want to end up paying more than I have to. When I bid my maximum bid and they say that they are going to bid on my behalf up to my maximum bid, that means that they are going to bid little by little for me? That is what it sounds like, but I want to make sure because I don't want to bid an outrageous amount and then have to pay it when I could have gotten it for a lot cheaper.

Also, can you place more than one bid or do you only get one shot at it?

• Members

Your first mistake is bidding before there's 20 seconds left in the auction. If you bid any sooner, all your doing is driving up the final price by giving other people a chance to outbid you. And they will...

Well I haven't bid yet.

Can other people see what you have bid?

• Members

seriously, if you don't know how it works.....don't use it.

join up, read ALL of the info....go onto the community forums, read the threads, ask some questions, make sure you know how it works before you buy anything otherwise you could create problems for yourself and other users. Buy a couple of really cheap things just so you get used to everything before you diving in headfirst into a transaction when you have no idea how it works.

to answer your question, if you bid $10 on something....then someone bids $5, ebay will automatically bid $6 for you and this will happen everytime there is another bid until you reach your maximum, then you will be outbid.

• Members

Here's how it works...

Seller sets the starting price, say $1.00

Bidder #1 comes along and bids $100.00. But the eBay system starts the thing at $1.00

Bidder #2 comes along and bids $50.00. He is immediately outbid by #1, and the price will show something like $51.00.

Bidder #3 comes along and bids $75.00. He is immediately outbid by Bidder #1, and the price shows as $76. Bidder #3 keeps increasing his bid by $5.00 increments until he is the high bidder.

Now if Bidder #1 hadn't been an impatient noob, he could have scored it for $76 by outbidding #3...

• Members

First thing you should do, if you haven't already, is set up a PayPal account and get it fully verified and confirm all your details with PayPal too. Then set up your eBay account and have it linked to your PayPal account so you can send and receive all your money through PayPal.

imgEEX_1_448x121.gif
imgEEX_2_448x121.gif
imgEEX_3_448x121.gif
imgEEX_4_448x121.gif
imgEEX_5_448x121.gif

• Members
seriously, if you don't know how it works.....don't use it.

join up, read ALL of the info....go onto the community forums, read the threads, ask some questions, make sure you know how it works before you buy anything otherwise you could create problems for yourself and other users. Buy a couple of really cheap things just so you get used to everything before you diving in headfirst into a transaction when you have no idea how it works.

to answer your question, if you bid $10 on something....then someone bids $5, ebay will automatically bid $6 for you and this will happen everytime there is another bid until you reach your maximum, then you will be outbid.

Thanks for answering my questions :thu: knowing that helps a lot.

I don't really see how I could get in trouble in this particular situation though. If I was going to buy and sell consistently then I would definitely read up about it more. Now that I know the information that you gave me I think that I am fine. This guy is selling 2 Radiohead tickets at a starting bid of $150. I am willing to pay up to $350 for them. So I will enter my bid and since no-one knows what my maximum bid is they can't outbid me by dollar or something like that (unless they happen to have placed a higher maximum bid before of course). So, that is pretty straight forward.

Wish me luck :)

• Members
Here's how it works...

Seller sets the starting price, say $1.00

Bidder #1 comes along and bids $100.00. But the eBay system starts the thing at $1.00

Bidder #2 comes along and bids $50.00. He is immediately outbid by #1, and the price will show something like $51.00.

Bidder #3 comes along and bids $75.00. He is immediately outbid by Bidder #1, and the price shows as $76. Bidder #3 keeps increasing his bid by $5.00 increments until he is the high bidder.

Now if Bidder #1 hadn't been an impatient noob, he could have scored it for $76 by outbidding #3...

Nice scenario. That explains how to get the best deal possible - thanks! :thu:

Well, I certainly don't want to be aan "impatient noob" :p so I will wait until the last minute or something.

• Members
First thing you should do, if you haven't already, is set up a PayPal account and get it fully verified and confirm all your details with PayPal too. Then set up your eBay account and have it linked to your PayPal account so you can send and receive all your money through PayPal.

imgEEX_1_448x121.gif
imgEEX_2_448x121.gif
imgEEX_3_448x121.gif
imgEEX_4_448x121.gif
imgEEX_5_448x121.gif

Nice pictures :) Thanks for the step - by - step.

• Members
Thanks for answering my questions
:thu:
knowing that helps a lot.

I don't really see how I could get in trouble in this particular situation though. If I was going to buy and sell consistently then I would definitely read up about it more. Now that I know the information that you gave me I think that I am fine. This guy is selling 2 Radiohead tickets at a starting bid of $150. I am willing to pay up to $350 for them. So I will enter my bid and since no-one knows what my maximum bid is they can't outbid me by dollar or something like that (unless they happen to have placed a higher maximum bid before of course). So, that is pretty straight forward.

Wish me luck
:)

I meant trouble like not checking the sellers feedback, not knowing a scam when you see one, paying by a dodgey method so you have no comeback if your tickets don't arrive, not knowing what to do when the auction end, not reading the listing properly...

just be careful. just remember anyone can set up an account and sell something, so just be careful like you would in real life when handing over money for something.

and good luck, I hope you win them! :thu:

• Members
I meant trouble like not checking the sellers feedback, not knowing a scam when you see one, paying by a dodgey method so you have no comeback if your tickets don't arrive, not knowing what to do when the auction end, not reading the listing properly...

just be careful. just remember anyone can set up an account and sell something, so just be careful like you would in real life when handing over money for something.

and good luck, I hope you win them!

Ahh, I see. Thanks for specifying. I definitely checked his feedback (100% positive).

As far a detecting a scam, I am not so sure about but his description and info seemed just as legit as every other seller of Radiohead tickets that I checked out.

I have a PayPal account so that should work fine.

It is stated that I should contact the seller with my name, physical/email address and payment option once the auction is over.

Thanks for watching out/educating a fellow forumite and thanks for the well wishes. I will be sure to post a review of the show :thu:

• Members
Ahh, I see. Thanks for specifying. I definitely checked his feedback (100% positive).

As far a detecting a scam, I am not so sure about but his description and info seemed just as legit as every other seller of Radiohead tickets that I checked out.

It is stated that I should contact the seller with my name, physical/email address and payment option once the auction is over.

Thanks for watching out/educating a fellow forumite and thanks for the well wishes. I will be sure to post a review of the show

oh it all seems cool then, no problem. good luck! :thu:

• Members

I can understand the seller wanting to be contacted, but you shouldn't have to tell him your address.

Never have anything sent anywhere, except your paypal verified address.:cop:

In case your account is ever hijacked, this can come to your advantage.

Believe me, I know.:mad:

• Members
I can understand the seller wanting to be contacted, but you shouldn't have to tell him your address.

Never have anything sent anywhere, except your paypal verified address.
:cop:

Believe me, I know.
:mad:

true, he shouldn't need your email address either, he can contact you through the ebay message system.

• Members

Never have anything sent anywhere, except your paypal verified address.
:cop:

Believe me, I know.
:mad:

Thanks for the heads up. Sorry you had to go through that. At least now you are passing on your knowledge :thu:

Archived