How GREAT was Erroll Garner?

New Trail

• Members

I had always heard his name, but I never knew anything about him until the other night when a public access channel showed him playing live in France in the 1960's. MY GOD! Just an incredible player, and with especially awesome left hand technique, and I don't think he ever looked at the keyboard. Almost like a classical / jazz mix.

• Members

I had always heard his name, but I never knew anything about him until the other night when a public access channel showed him playing live in France in the 1960's. MY GOD! Just an incredible player, and with especially awesome left hand technique, and I don't think he ever looked at the keyboard. Almost like a classical / jazz mix.

There are some clips of Errol Garner playing tunes on youtube.com

Check some of those out

katt

• Members

Very simply, Garner was one of the greats. Almost completely self-taught, he didn't even own a piano for most of his career. :eek: :eek: But he compensated for that with his absolute musical genius.

I like to think that I'm a decent pianist, but when I tried to read some Garner transcriptions, I was in a sweat from beginning to end. His technique, though original, was first-rate.

• Members

Definitely one of my favorite pianists! I love his left hand "orchestral" style, and his virtuosity and inventiveness in his right hand

Coincidentally, I posted the opening song from the Carmel concert in this thread, http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1686746 but nobody had anything to say...

---

Archived