Pepper by Butthole Surfers -- Effects Used Are...?

Kikaruu

• Members

..:There's a song I want to learn (the eponymous Pepper, by BHS), but I'm not sure how to get that echo effect. I think that it's similiar to the effect used in Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day, and Hey Man, Nice Shot by Filter. Is that a standard echo, or some type of special modulation?

..:Also, during the solo for Pepper, is he using a compression/sustainer? He holds notes for a really long time before slowly dive-bombing and adding a wide vibrato, which is something I want to try.

..:So, in closing, does anyone know the effects used in said song (Pepper)?

• Members

I believe thats reverse delay.

..:Reverse... delay? So... could I use a digital delay behind a pedal that'll reverse my sound, like an Echo Park? Or is that something else entirely? Or do I have the delay first, then the reverser, so that the echoes of the notes come first? Is that even remotely related to the echoes on Boulevard of Broken Dreams?

..:Confuzzled...:confused:

• Members

..:Ahmm... I don't know if I'm telling you all about the right effect. It's used for sure at the very beginning of the song, right after the drums. It's also used at 0:50, 1:18, and 1:50, but those might be a different echo. I'm more interested in the one at 0:50, but as long as I know how to make it, I'm cool.

..:And, if it is a reverse tape echo, okay, I can get it. I like the way it sounds, and how the effect is used just enough. So... Reverse tape echo, then?

..:Also, what about the solo at 2:41? Is that just an example of massive sustain/compression?

• Members

Paul Leary...loved him. That was their big "sellout" song, right? The "falling like an avalanche coming down the mountain" thing?

Dude that's what they used to call "a backward guitar solo" heaps of fuzz and distortion, feedback, flip the tape over and improvise to the reversed track, record it, and then flip the tape back over so the solo plays in reverse.

That is impossible to duplicate in real time. Can't be done. You can do little noodles with a 100% wet reverse delay and it will sound cool, but not that cool.

• Members

they reversed the actual tape.

do the same and sample it to an RC20XL.

or you could just write your own songs with your own effects.

id hate to buy a tape echo just to play the sellout song from a great band.

Not that Butthole Surfers are sellouts, but thats the only song from them that the mainstream knows. Its a huge shame.

But yeah reversed tape...

• Members

..:Orangesix, you're right. I will not buy an amazing echo pedal just to play a song considered well-known in the eyes of many.

..:I'll buy an amazing echo pedal so that I can play songs considered well-known in the eyes of many. And I'll use my own effects. I don't think that it'd be a good thing to have people reminded of Pepper everytime a play one of my future epic solos. :rawk: That doesn't mean that I can't use reverse echo for fun every now and then! :)

Archived