Help Please: No Sound Coming Out of My Laptop...

amaleelake

• Members

So there is no sound coming out of my laptop. Nothing from media player, cubase or any other program that I have. And no, the speakers are not on mute and the volume isn't turned down :poke:

So does anyone know what might be wrong or how to fix this?

Thanks guys :wave:

• Members

My mothers laptop sometimes decides to not install the soundcard on startup. Maybe uninstall it in device manager and then restart.

Thanks for responding. Bare with me here please as I am somewhat illiterate with certain subjects of computers that don't involve music systems (I skipped the basics), but where is device manager? I just looked but couldn't find it.....thanks.

• Members

Not sure where it is in Vista, but in XP you should open the the "System" control panel, click on the "Hardware" tab, and then click on the "Device Manager" button. Find your sound card under "Sound, video, and game controllers". If there's a red "X" on the icon then there's something wrong with the hardware, or it's disabled.

Do you get any sound with headphones/ear buds?

• Members

Not sure where it is in Vista, but in XP you should open the the "System" control panel, click on the "Hardware" tab, and then click on the "Device Manager" button. Find your sound card under "Sound, video, and game controllers". If there's a red "X" on the icon then there's something wrong with the hardware, or it's disabled.

Do you get any sound with headphones/ear buds?

Wow, that was really detailed and helpful, thank you. However when I go to "Sound, video, and game controllers" there is no option for "sound card". I clicked every option there and they all said that the device is working properly. So, where does that leave me?

No, I am not getting anything from headphones.

Thanks....

• Members

SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio looks like your sound card, but if it's showing as being enabled and healthy in the software then that takes away one potential source of the problem.

In between it working and not working have you installed any other software, done any Windows updates or anything?

• Members

IvIark is correct. The "SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio" means you've got an Analog Devices sound chip. The fact that there is no "X" on the icon, and the control panel says it's working properly, means that the sound chip is working properly as far as the driver software is concerned; i.e., it's registers are working the way the driver expects them to. This means the chip isn't completely dead.

The fact that it doesn't work with a headphone either reduces the chance of it being a foreign object in the headphone jack switch, as Zachary suggested.

To make absolutely certain there isn't a problem with the driver software you should get the most recent driver from your laptop maker's website and install it. Also, search the knowledgebase at the Microsoft website to see if there's a recent problem related to the SoundMax sound chip on your brand of computer, and if there's an O/S level fix for it.

Once you've eliminated software as a cause of the problem, then you're left with hardware. The D/A converter or audio amplifier chip might be blown.

• Members
IvIark is correct. The "SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio" means you've got an Analog Devices sound chip. The fact that there is no "X" on the icon, and the control panel says it's working properly, means that the sound chip is working properly as far as the driver software is concerned; i.e., it's registers are working the way the driver expects them to. This means the chip isn't completely dead.

The fact that it doesn't work with a headphone either reduces the chance of it being a foreign object in the headphone jack switch, as Zachary suggested.

To make absolutely certain there isn't a problem with the driver software you should get the most recent driver from your laptop maker's website and install it. Also, search the knowledgebase at the Microsoft website to see if there's a recent problem related to the SoundMax sound chip on your brand of computer, and if there's an O/S level fix for it.

Once you've eliminated software as a cause of the problem, then you're left with hardware. The D/A converter or audio amplifier chip might be blown.

I just installed a new driver and rebooted my computer and still nothing. I even called Microsoft and IBM and they basically told me everything that you guys are telling me. So, I don't know where it stands now if uploading a new sound driver isnt't even working.....

How do you check the D/A converter and amplifier chip?

There is nothing muted in any of my sound controls.

Thanks for all of the help everybody, I really appreciate it :wave:

• Members

How do you check the D/A converter and amplifier chip?

In all likelihood, there's not much you can do. Even if you could get schematics for it (which you probably can't) and troubleshoot it, you'd need special equipment to remove and replace any of the surface mounted IC's. A hot air rework station would cost you at least $500, and you'd still need to try to find a replacement chip.

That's the nature of consumer electronics these days. Everything is mass manufactured using automated equipment. The result is a dramatic reduction in cost, but none of the assemblies are considered field repairable. The boards are basically throw-aways.

My recommendation is just to get a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage. It's a USB sound card about the size of a thumb drive, with analog line/headphone and optical SPDIF outputs. They cost around $30. This will allow you to get a little more mileage out of the laptop without giving up sound.

• Members

SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio looks like your sound card, but if it's showing as being enabled and healthy in the software then that takes away one potential source of the problem.

In between it working and not working have you installed any other software, done any Windows updates or anything?

Actually, I did install Cubase, Abelton Live, and Sound Forge. They are all music producing/recording software. But I had sound for over a month after installing these programs.

Thanks for responding...

• Members

In all likelihood, there's not much you can do. Even if you could get schematics for it (which you probably can't) and troubleshoot it, you'd need special equipment to remove and replace any of the surface mounted IC's. A hot air rework station would cost you at least $500, and you'd still need to try to find a replacement chip.

That's the nature of consumer electronics these days. Everything is mass manufactured using automated equipment. The result is a dramatic reduction in cost, but none of the assemblies are considered field repairable. The boards are basically throw-aways.

My recommendation is just to get a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage. It's a USB sound card about the size of a thumb drive, with analog line/headphone and optical SPDIF outputs. They cost around $30. This will allow you to get a little more mileage out of the laptop without giving up sound.

Damn, I wonder what coused it to just give out like that. I will definitely pick up a sound card, that seems like an easy and decent solution.

Thanks again for the advice....

Archived