Best Clean volume boost .. pedal or stompbox?

• Members

Is there any real functional difference between the two besides being able to do swells with a pedal?

I just need something for a clean boost that doesn't change the original sound at all. Something similar to a "solo" switch on Mesa/Boogie amps, if anyone is familiar with that.

• Members

Xotic Effects RC for clean boost. I don't think there's anything better. I've tried the Fulltone and it's nice but I don't think it compares to the RC. Watch some of the videos on youtube and I think you'll be convinced.

• Members

Are you planning to put it in the effects loop?

Most of the pedals mentioned are designed for pushing an amp into overdrive and modify the tone slightly. Since you said you didn't want to change the tone, I would recommend an MXR mincro amp, a DOD BiFET preamp, or even an eq pedal (using the volume slider to adjust boost), as they are all capable of a really uncolored boost. With a lot of boutique boosts, you pay a lot more for the

tone change they can impart, which can be awesome sounding, but doesn't seem like what you're looking for.

Plus, any treble booster or "glassy" booster like the SHO would not sound very good in the effects loop, which is the only way to get a pure volume increase if you are using amp gain.

• Members

Xotic Effects RC for clean boost. I don't think there's anything better. I've tried the Fulltone and it's nice but I don't think it compares to the RC. Watch some of the videos on youtube and I think you'll be convinced.

I have a BB preamp which I use to fill out and OD my tone. I'll definitely look into it. How would you compare it to the BB?

• Members

Are you planning to put it in the effects loop?

Most of the pedals mentioned are designed for pushing an amp into overdrive and modify the tone slightly. Since you said you didn't want to change the tone, I would recommend an MXR mincro amp, a DOD BiFET preamp, or even an eq pedal (using the volume slider to adjust boost), as they are all capable of a really uncolored boost. With a lot of boutique boosts, you pay a lot more for the

tone change they can impart, which can be awesome sounding, but doesn't seem like what you're looking for.

Plus, any treble booster or "glassy" booster like the SHO would not sound very good in the effects loop, which is the only way to get a pure volume increase if you are using amp gain.

This is definitely something to consider, thanks. The thing is, I have a Stiletto ace. Love the amp, but hate the customer service. The solo/boost function on the amp stopped working with my footswitch. Most probably by some wiring defect and it has been impossible to get in contact with Mesa by phone with their west coast timings and what not.

I suppose the "solo" feature on the amp itself works like putting a boost pedal in the FX loop? I definitely just want a clean volume increase to compensate for moronic tone def drummers and rhythm guitarists.

• Members

"How would you compare it to the BB?"

The RC is almost totally clean, just a little bit of grit at max.. The gain even at max doesn't give you what the BB does at 2. That's why I like it. True bypass and will give you up to 20 db of clean. I play through a Mesa Lonestar Classic and a Shiva and it only enhances an already great sound.

• Members

Checked out the video and it sounds good too, thanks.

Just a heads up that the Fat Boost is basically the same thing as the Orman Mosfet booster with a (IMO kind of useless) tone control added. The Catalinbread SCP is based on the same circuit; Nick gave credit to Jack Orman for the design, but Mike Fuller did not.

• Members

After all it's like 8 parts and costs $20 with enclosure.

Actually, nvm. Let's not go there.

Actually, I'm totally going there. I gotta get a spot more money, then I'm building a big muff and an SHO.

But yeah. My recommendations stand.

Archived