Drum Machines

• Members

No such thing as a Roland DX. Maybe you're thinking of the Oberheim DX, the little brother to the infamous DMX. What style of music do you guys make? What sound are you going for?

Oh crap, yeah I meant the Oberheim haha. Well, I can link you to our purevolume account. I myself am mostly like dance music and ambient and he just makes a lot of stuff up as he goes. He never follows a path.

http://www.purevolume.com/shinotes

I like the things that we come up with, just doubt anyone else would like it.

• Members

I'd suggest trying one of the Boss machines like the DR-670 because they are inexpensive and have a variety of good sounds. Don't know if that would be "simple enough for your taste" or not.

• Members

Why not try something like the Emu Commandstations? The XL-7 can do what any drum machine does plus give you other tracks. The sequencer is very easy to learn and use. It would be a great start for dance music.

• Members

naturalbluesky -

I second the Roland R-8. I have an R-8 MKII. I've had it for years and it still works great. I especially like having eight outputs for recording individual instruments (and adding outboard effects). If you get an R-8, make sure you get one that comes with a manual. You will definitely experience difficulties without it. My R-8 manual is in English only and is 3/8 of inch thick - 213 pages.

peace

• Members

Do you mean adding outboard effects as in I could line out and add something like a delay pedal? I had been thinking about whether or not I could add more effects to already existing drum machines and synths.

naturalbluesky -

I second the Roland R-8. I have an R-8 MKII. I've had it for years and it still works great. I especially like having eight outputs for recording individual instruments (and adding outboard effects). If you get an R-8, make sure you get one that comes with a manual. You will definitely experience difficulties without it. My R-8 manual is in English only and is 3/8 of inch thick - 213 pages.

peace

• Members

naturalbluesky -

That is exactly what I mean. With the R-8 you can output eight different instruments plus a stereo pair (1/4" jacks). Which means you can add a different effect (or effects) to eight separate instruments or to a group of instruments. A very nice feature.

peace

Archived