Korg Prophecy

• Members

Well, I was just browsing looking at a couple of synths (not to buy) and just wondered about the korg prophecy. I read some reviews and whatched some videos and it sounds good but does anyone have any sound examples of the analogue modeling part only? Is it F A T?

• Members

I had a Prophecy for a few years and I enjoyed it, but ultimately got rid of it because of it's limitation (for me) of being monophonic. It's good for what it does - bass, leads, and a few other things, but it's not the most versatile synth. I sold mine and bought a Novation X-Station (49 key) and have been happy with the change.

• Members

the z1 CAN do most of what the prophecy can on paper. On analog modelling, they sound pretty much exact (though the Z1 needs more EQ work to get the same nice deep base of the prophecy). with the Cross mod and VPM synthesis, the prophecy definitely sounds crunchier than its bigger brother - I think with the Z1 they refined the algorithms, but actually dont like that the cleaned things up. also, despite having fewer parameters, the distortion effect on the prophecy is MUCH better than the one on the Z1, though the FX on the z1 are more flexible and complete over all.

My z1 and prophecy dont get used every day, but sometimes they are exactly what I need. If I had to sell one, I'd have to sell the Z1 though because the performance interface on the prophecy is really what the instrument is all about.

• Members

the z1 CAN do most of what the prophecy can on paper. On analog modelling, they sound pretty much exact (though the Z1 needs more EQ work to get the same nice deep base of the prophecy). with the Cross mod and VPM synthesis, the prophecy definitely sounds crunchier than its bigger brother - I think with the Z1 they refined the algorithms, but actually dont like that the cleaned things up. also, despite having fewer parameters, the distortion effect on the prophecy is MUCH better than the one on the Z1, though the FX on the z1 are more flexible and complete over all.

My z1 and prophecy dont get used every day, but sometimes they are exactly what I need. If I had to sell one, I'd have to sell the Z1 though because the performance interface on the prophecy is really what the instrument is all about.

I've been looking for a Z1 lately. Prophecy sounds nice but I doubt i'll take the time to learn the engine of either. I just need a 61 key controller with some knobs and an x-y pad :D

Let me know if you ever decide to sell that Z1. I saw one go for 322.77 the other day. Didn't actually see the auction till it was too late. Mint condition with a HSC too :mad:

• Members

after many close encounters, I will not ever sell either board. I know their engines and how they respond far to well. They are two resources I never seem to exhaust.

I don't have the Proph but I am right with you re: the Z1. That is one baby that will NEVER leave my studio, not in my lifetime anyway. It matters little to me how much better VA modeling got after this engine -- the whole point is the interface interaction with the synth engine. It's an experience that can't be replicated in pure software. All the knobs you really need for live performace, and the great X/Y pad for some wild expressive gestures. It screams "performance synth" all over, much like the CS80 back in its day.

• Members

I'd love to find a used Prophecy. But wasn't there some issue with the ROM? I think if you get version .13 (which most units for sale seem to have) you have some major sync issues. And it's apparently difficult to upgrade...

the ROM can be hard to come by...not that i've really tried more than twice. ;)

The sync issue isn't a big deal, unless you plan on using it by itself, or you rely on MIDI sync for everything(LFOs, delays, EGs etc), which it doesn't have much of...but as long as the clock is set to external then it's fine.

I also happen to be selling mine to get a MEK.

see VSE for-sale thread here:

http://www.vintagesynth.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28963

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Hi OFM

Can you tell me why you're disappointed? What would you buy instead? I'm looking for something unconventional that I can use for live experimental jazz/rock improvisations.

I was also salivating for one , got one and was very disappointed I kept for less than 3 weeks I beleive, to me its overrated now.

Cheers

OFM.

• Members

To me first of all it sounded thin and the volume output was very low compare to all my other synthesizers,

Also it has a manufacture flaw, the flaw is that when you go trought the patches the volume can become amazingly low to LOUD from one patch to another (almost blew up my speakers and ears). This also happens on some parameters when playing them live with the knobs, which pissed me off since I wanted to play with these knobs and the ribbon while playing, so if you cannot play the knobs then its not really a live performance synth correct?

If youre looking for a small synth to play leads/solos my personal advice would be the Roland SH-201, it truly amazed me when I tried it, Im not really confident on new gear but this little thing changed my mind (it also cheaper than a Prophecy if you get it second hand), the only thing that the SH does not do is obviously acoustic sounds and of course the Prophecy has some guitar/plucked/banjo sounds that were not that bad ... but nothing amazing.

Other than that if you only want synth sounds my advice would be the SH-201, it also has an arpeggiator, and its polyphonic aswell, if you can trow in more $ then go to Moog Little Phatty.

Cheers,

OFM

Archived