Korg Prophecy

• Members

Thanks OFM. I'll definitely add SH-201 on my list to try. In the analog days I was a bigger fan of minikorg-700 than SH-101 though. There's something about those quarky monosynths that attracts my attention. And that weired arpeggio :love:

• Members

You can't really compare Prophecy and SH201, two entirely different things with different scope.

OFM, while you had it, have you tried to do a factory reset or something? :)

Output volume on all Korg keyboards can be ridiculously hot. I can't see your problem, it probably just needed several tweaks inside the patches :p

• Members

You can't really compare Prophecy and SH201, two entirely different things with different scope.

OFM, while you had it, have you tried to do a factory reset or something?
:)

Output volume on all Korg keyboards can be ridiculously hot. I can't see your problem, it probably just needed several tweaks inside the patches
:p

Nothing did it, even a reset, I even spoke to Korg about it thats how I came aware of the problem, again some people will like it some dont and yes of course it cannot be compare to a SH-201, but again I feel the Prophecy is pretty hyped, I think its the only keyboard in the last 10 years that I was really disapointed. If some people like it well good then keep it and enjoy it.

Cheers,

OFM

• Members

Z1... always liked them. They have a sound I find musically interesting and inspiring. How much should I pay for one? I'm about to give a guy from the classifieds a ring...
;)

Thats one of the reasons why I decide to sell it too,

at the price the Prophecy is better go with the Z1 which is

a polyphonic Prophecy.

OFM.

• Members

Thats one of the reasons why I decide to sell it too,

at the price the Prophecy is better go with the Z1 which is

a polyphonic Prophecy.

OFM.

Agreed - and I also have a Prophecy of sorts already - inside my Trinity Plus (bought cheaply a couple of weeks ago). :)

• Members

Z1... always liked them. They have a sound I find musically interesting and inspiring. How much should I pay for one? I'm about to give a guy from the classifieds a ring...
;)

Regular 12-voice factory version, no more than $450. I have an 18-voice expanded unit which I paid $600 for and it was worth it. This is basically a Z1 with an additional 6-voice MOSS board in it.

Not a lot of people talk about the other modeling engines here, including the organ modeling - it's one of the things about the Z1 that really appeals to me. I love its organ tones far more than those from ROMplers (including the Triton) and I use it for most of my 'Hammond' sounds. It sounds a lot more natural since it's modeled digitally using clonewheel technology only later released on various standalone digital organs. The Z1 is a great all-rounder for just about anything (except natural sounding acoustic pianos).

• Members

but again I feel the Prophecy is pretty hyped

Cheers,

OFM

I don't understand what you mean by hyped. Who is hyping it? If you mean people who have one and give it high reviews, it's because they love the textures you can get out of it.

It's capable of some very unique sounds, it can squawk, scream and the filters can make a sleeping dog run for the hills.:lol:I love the real time controls like the log and the ribbon controller.

It's IMO one sexy looking beast, you can tuck it under your arm and take it just about anywhere, plus it makes a great midi-controller.

The menu diving to program parameters sucks and the blinking light drives me nuts, other than that I think it's a classic synth.

As far as the Z1, it is an awesome synthesizer and yes it has more polyphony than the Prophecy but that's part of it's charm, the sounds lend to one note playing.

Sorry you didn't click with it, that's the risk we take when buying used, we have to go by online demos and user reviews. It's not until we get one home and actually use it, we find out it's not what we thought it was.

• Members

I love its organ tones far more than those from ROMplers (including the Triton) and I use it for most of my 'Hammond' sounds. It sounds a lot more natural since it's modeled digitally using clonewheel technology only later released on various standalone digital organs.

Hammond+18 note polyphony (at best) doesn't marry the best to me. But oh well... for comping I guess just fine.

• Members

Sorry you didn't click with it, that's the risk we take when buying used, we have to go by online demos and user reviews. It's not until we get one home and actually use it, we find out it's not what we thought it was.

You dont have have to feel sorry :) Im actually glad you like it and can benefit of it! Again in order to like something as you said you have to try it.

Cheers,

OFM.

• Members

Regular 12-voice factory version, no more than $450. I have an 18-voice expanded unit which I paid $600 for and it was worth it. This is basically a Z1 with an additional 6-voice MOSS board in it.

Not a lot of people talk about the other modeling engines here, including the organ modeling - it's one of the things about the Z1 that really appeals to me. I love its organ tones far more than those from ROMplers (including the Triton) and I use it for most of my 'Hammond' sounds. It sounds a lot more natural since it's modeled digitally using clonewheel technology only later released on various standalone digital organs. The Z1 is a great all-rounder for just about anything (except natural sounding acoustic pianos).

That actually seems like a pretty damn good price. When I ask these kind questions on a forum that seems frequented mainly by US citizens, though, I do expect that the prices I'm going to be looking at here in Scandinavia will be little higher than what I get here. There's a Z1 for sale not far from me right now for about US$ 1070..... I can negotiate that down a bit, but still...

I've always wanted a Z1, though. They're good machines. I might place a WTB ad and sit back and see what happens.

• Members

Thanks, Dragon! Ok then, I will make some songs with it VERY quickly - when it gets here, that is! ;)

No PPG this time around, though - the Wave 2 that I told you about didn't seem to be the one to get, really. No MIDI, of course, and the improvements in the newer models seemed very worthwhile. There IS a Wave 2.3 about an hour and a half from here that can probably be had for US$ 2,000, though. And... A little while ago inherited this Borsini Professional accordion (don't mention this in the nerdy instruments thread) that I can apparently get a nice little pile of cash for. If that money doesn't go towards an Andromeda, a new music computer (I'm on a P4 3.2 Ghz :mad: ) or a set of monitors, I might just end up a happy owner of another blue German digisynth. :)

• Members

THe Z1 is an amazing synth. It can produce some truelly unique sounds.( as Im sure you will find out Tropicthink)

There is huge scope for deep programming & a massive modulation matrix. & I agree with earlier posts the organs Hammonds etc are outstanding, some of the other acoustic models are also brilliant . I like the modelled Rhodes & Wurlies a lot. It can sound a bit thin sometimes though on some models & needs stacking. You can do amazing things with plucked string models being modulated by each other & lfos..pitch,etc..There is nothing else like it. For me it is a very etherial synth perfect for ambient, or indeed most genres.

It is a very versatile instrument. It can do most of the bread & butter 'rompler' stuff ( except acoustic piano) better than a rompler or sampler,to my ears; I prefer acoustic modeling than sampled sounds for that sort of thing anyway. The sax is amazing. But for me thats not what its about. It is a sound design instrument. Very deep. I love it. I wouldnt hesitate to use the horns, brass, organs,electric pianos, basses,etc on a track though if I needed that sort of thing.

The Prophecy & Z1 are fine deep complex & unique instruments .

The prices certain synths go for these days do not reflect their power, (whether $5000 or $250), but more where they stand in the ranks of synth & popular music fashion, which seems to have become more & more dumbed down since the internet came into being,IMHO.

Archived