SUB FOR EBOW

bmast160

• Members

I find that using a volume pedal for swells helps give it a more bowed sound. Adding delay to the mix also does wonders.

:idea:
If it's the sound of a real bow you're looking for learn to play violin or cello. I can't imagine and gizmo that'll get you better, more usuable sounds than an ebow.
:confused:

+1 A volume swell with delay works wonders, though I usually just roll up the volume knob on my guitar instead of a pedal, depends on your guitars volume knob placement I suppose. But really nothing beats the sound of a real bow.

• Members

I use the ebow all the time on my steel guitar. It sounds great but takes practice. You have to get used to moving it around and changing the tone. I had a Sustainiac installed in one lap steel but didn't like it. You can't change the position of the sustainer like you can with the ebow. It just sounded boring and the tone wasn't as intense. Also, the ebow allows you to slip into harmonics much easier.

I use the ebow with the my tone knob rolled down and good bit of delay. Try it with a slide and experiment with different hot spots.

Don't forget that a lot can be done on one string. Check out http://www.myspace.com/thesubcons and the track "Upendix".

I agree that a good volume pedal allows for the bowed feel. However, I had to get a very good VP ($280 Hilton) before I was satisfied. I just couldn't find a cheap VP that would cut it.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

yeah, it just isn't capable of the kind of constant and consistent bowing that most people are looking for. its more like a plectrum that uses friction.. unless there's some secret way of using it i dont know about, you essentially can't use more than about 1cm of it to play a string.. crazy..

thanks. i was looking at that..any, bow it is i guess..

• Members

I've used a Ebow since the mid 90s, it takes A LITTLE getting used to, but it's worth it once you become comfortable with it. I always use it with lots of delay and modulation. It makes a fun noise when "danced" on strings, I use it more for that these days than it's designed use.

The best substitute I've found for the Ebow is feedback.

Archived