mxr blue box: what is the "mod"? are there any clones?

hangwire

• Members

I am slightly thinking of replacing my Arion Octave with an MXR Blue Box... as I am only using the Arion for weird sonic mess chords now, which I can do with a Blue Box... but also get a noise-fuzz on my board as well...

I run a MixMod big muff that is really more of a distortion with clean signal blend... so I imagine running the blue box before it will give some nice sustaining clanky fuzz...

but I have owned 2 in the past... both MXR reissues.

one sounded great before my green muff back in the 90s

the second one was always really muffled no matter where it was in the chain

so what is the mod? how easy is it to do? how does it sound with other dirt after it is done? and long term, woudl youdo it again?

any clones of the the ocatve fuzz anywhere? remember, suggest sonic youth type song freakout pedals.... not an Octron :thu:

thanks!

• Members

Ok ... this sounds great but installing the switch (which I would definitely want) scares me off. Does anyone do this mod for $$?

you could just desolder one leg, see if you like the result, if you don't you could just solder it back?

• Members

i haven't doen the mod, but i ahve read you loose alot of the bottom end sound. which i think would be lame.

the blue box soudns cool, but it is quiet and glitchy.

if you like the blue box sound, you can achieve essentially the same thing just by running a smooth fuzz infront of your arion octave. having owned the arion and played the blue box.... id say keep your arion so you can have a clean octave sound too.

you may also like the fuzz after the arion of course.

the problem with octave pedals is a volume drop. best thing to do is a tb loop on the octave and put a boost after it in the loop.

• Members

Alright, alright I might try it. I'm sure this is a stupid question, but if the capacitor can be removed with an improvement in sound what's it's purpose?

It could be there for stability reasons, or maybe the way it sounds stock sounded the best to whoever ok'd the production of the pedal. There's a million and one reasons why it would be there.

• Members

Yeah I have been thiking about selling the Blue Box and getting fuzz & octave pedals ... but I think I'll miss the glitchyness. I haven't heard anything else that's quite the same.

you want to do a 1 week trade? my arion for your bluebox...try it out with your setup and trade back?

• Members

clones dont know of them, but they're various alternatives for octave down glitchy/freakout fuzz pedals

MidFi Glitch Computer

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

4ms Nocto Loco

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Copilot Fx Mantis 2

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

while those clones are cool, I have a small synth that does all the really weird extra stuff... so I guess that is why I am looking at the cheaper $50 range for just an extra harsh fuzz to run into my mix muff that set to more of a distortion...

Archived