Who's using the EHX Octave Multiplexer XO?

IRG

• Members

This one here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Electro-Harmonix-Micro-Octave-Multiplexer-Pedal?sku=150435

I kinda want an octave pedal, an octave down for some bass lines would be cool. Doesn't have to be anything too complicated. Much better price than the MicroPog too.

So how is this pedal, and where should this go in the signal chain? Thanks

• Members

I used the Octave Multiplexer for a few years.

Then I got the XO version of it. The XO is tougher build quality and way smaller, no doubt. Even seemed to have better tracking, but I dunno if it really did.

It's gotta go first in your chain--it needs the cleanest input possible...I think a clean boost in front helps tracking though.

It's a single-note device. If you don't play carefully--or even if you do--you might hit a harmonic, hit another string, or make a fret noise...and the tracking will glitch or completely fall apart.

It's a great unit and can get pretty nasty in a good way. But it can also get pretty ugly if your playing isn't super clean/careful.

I loved mine for some big fat solos...it was okay for bass, but you can't do real quick/sharp runs really easily.

I got a Micro POG, which is multi-note. IMO, it's a huge upgrade for doing decent bass or fattening up solos...plus you get an octave up.

• Members

youll want a clean boost after it for battling octave down volume drop, the only thing you would really want to run in front is maybe a compressor... perhaps a smooth fuzz. smooth fuzz before the octave makes a sweet synty octave down, and fuzz after is a nasty synth sound

• Members

Good suggestion on the boost Coyote!

I re-housed an older big box octave multi and it sounds great! It replaced a Boss OC-2 & OC-3. I wouldn't say that the tracking is any better than the boss pedals but the tone is MUCH bigger. I run an XO Q-tron and a DynaRoss compressor in front of it with great results. It sounds great in front of my BoR or NKT275 fuzz. I find that the compressor in front of it does wonders for the volume drop and tracking. My bass player plays a micro POG and as impressive as that pedal it doesn't sound as big.

I like using comp>Oct>fuzz for a huge Jeff Beck-Blow by Blow era lead sound. Then add in the Q-tron and you got the Jerry Garcia-Feel Like a Strager tone.

• Members

Hmm, ok, good feedback. I dunno if this is the right pedal then. Does the MicroPog also need to go first in the chain? That isn't a deal breaker, but it is a pain, I've just redone my board, and moving things around would be a bit time consuming. But as far as this pedal goes, I think I might pass on it for now.

• Members

Good suggestion on the boost Coyote!

I re-housed an older big box octave multi and it sounds great! It replaced a Boss OC-2 & OC-3. I wouldn't say that the tracking is any better than the boss pedals but the tone is MUCH bigger. I run an XO Q-tron and a DynaRoss compressor in front of it with great results. It sounds great in front of my BoR or NKT275 fuzz. I find that the compressor in front of it does wonders for the volume drop and tracking. My bass player plays a micro POG and as impressive as that pedal it doesn't sound as big.

I like using comp>Oct>fuzz for a huge Jeff Beck-Blow by Blow era lead sound. Then add in the Q-tron and you got the Jerry Garcia-Feel Like a Strager tone.

How do you like the Micro Q-tron? I have the big Mini version - I've heard the micro sounds better for guitar, the mini better for bass. Dunno if that's true or not. Was actually thinking of getting the Emma envelope filter, but it isn't cheap.

• Members

Sorry to latch on to this post, but could someone explain what exactly the 'High' and 'Bass' filter dials do? (I assume 'Blend' is the orignal signal?)

octave up and octave down? So it's like a single note tracking version of the Micro Pog?

Oh, and what's the Sub switch?

• Members

Not to jack the thread, but I have a micro Qtron and love it for guitar. On bass I found only the Low pass is useful sounding (which makes sense). I also use it on keys, and it's really nice but occasionally I need to watch how much it boosts my signal when I turn it on. Sometimes I actually use it to help cut through on solos and it works really great.

• Members

Hmm, ok, good feedback. I dunno if this is the right pedal then. Does the MicroPog also need to go first in the chain? That isn't a deal breaker, but it is a pain, I've just redone my board, and moving things around would be a bit time consuming. But as far as this pedal goes, I think I might pass on it for now.

No, the Micro POG doesn't need to go first--it's a whole different beast.

I think it's actually better after your distortion/fuzz... That way, it takes the fuzz/dist texture and runs that an octave up or down.

You can easily justify the Micro POG if you look at it this way: an octave down (Octave Multiplexer) would cost $69-74. An octave up would cost at least the same, $69-74. So you get both of those...and then make both of them multi-note devices. Easily worth the cost. :D You'll be able to do so much more with the Micro POG.

• Members

How do you like the Micro Q-tron? I have the big Mini version - I've heard the micro sounds better for guitar, the mini better for bass. Dunno if that's true or not. Was actually thinking of getting the Emma envelope filter, but it isn't cheap.

I have the Micro and it sounds beautiful for guitar. For bass, the Low-pass setting is the only usable one because it cuts out so much low end, but I'm fixing that with a blend looper for it. Other than the lack of low end, it sounds {censored}ing sweet.

• Members

I have the Micro and it sounds beautiful for guitar. For bass, the Low-pass setting is the only usable one because it cuts out so much low end, but I'm fixing that with a blend looper for it. Other than the lack of low end, it sounds {censored}ing sweet.

The Q-tron with an effects loop seems kinda cool too. Put a Polyphase or something in that loop, possibilities are endless. But if I add many more pedals to my board, I'll spend all my time fiddling, and not enough playing.

• Members

Sorry to latch on to this post, but could someone explain what exactly the 'High' and 'Bass' filter dials do? (I assume 'Blend' is the orignal signal?)

octave up and octave down? So it's like a single note tracking version of the Micro Pog?

Oh, and what's the Sub switch?

the hi and lo filters aer like tone controls of sorts, they help smooth or brighten the sound. these are what makes the OM sound good IMO. the sub switch im not certain what the purpose is, but it makes it sound alot thinner, dirtier, and glitchier

• Members

the hi and lo filters aer like tone controls of sorts, they help smooth or brighten the sound. these are what makes the OM sound good IMO. the sub switch im not certain what the purpose is, but it makes it sound alot thinner, dirtier, and glitchier

Good explanation! I find that you have to tweak the filters for some time to dial in just the right sound. When you finally get the sound it's HUGE!

The sub switch is usueful when playing bass through the pedal.

About the micro-Qtron, I love it. I haven't compared it to the others but for the size and the price it's been my favortie env. filter.

• Members

No, the Micro POG doesn't need to go first--it's a whole different beast.

I think it's actually better
after
your distortion/fuzz... That way, it takes the fuzz/dist texture and runs that an octave up or down.

You can easily justify the Micro POG if you look at it this way: an octave down (Octave Multiplexer) would cost $69-74. An octave up would cost at least the same, $69-74. So you get both of those...and then make both of them multi-note devices. Easily worth the cost.
:D
You'll be able to do so much more with the Micro POG.

yeah but the micro pog doesn't do that octave down THUMP, or that pusedo ring mod octave up CLANG...

• Members

yeah but the micro pog doesn't do that octave down THUMP, or that pusedo ring mod octave up CLANG...

True...the Micro POG, on it's own doesn't have a certain thump and growl--like I said, they're very different beasts. The Multiplexer is an analog device that tracks one note down...the Micro POG is digital and seems to digitally produce the notes you play one octave down or up.

I add some growl and thump by running pedals in front of the Micro POG...LPB-1 and some fuzzes.

Archived