Combining multi-fx with analog pedals.

• Members

I'm building a new pedalboard to use with my Super Twin and so far I am set on my wha (Morley Bad Horsie), my Mi Audio Crunch Box as my heavy distortion and a Boss DS1 as a light distortion and boost for the crunch box. I tried it all today and it sounds great so far.

Now I need to buy other pedals now for modulation, delay, volume etc.. and I was wondering if I should get a multi-fx unit like a Boss GT-10, ME-50 or something like that instead of individual pedals. It would certainly make sense from a financial standpoint and it would be less tap-dancing to switch multiple effects. I am planning to use the multi-fx for clean effects only since I am set on my o/d boxes and wha...

Does anybody have any experience doing this??

Thanks

• Members

I don't have too much experience with it, but that is what I plan to do- have a multi-effects unit to cover a large array of different effects with presets, used in conjunction with dedicated standalone effect pedals for particular effects & for instant on-the-spot mucking around.

I'm pretty fussy about chorus, and a bit of a junkie/crackpot in that regard, so I've got a few of 'em. A Visual Sound H2O Liquid Chorus & Echo, a TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger, a Rockman Stereo Chorus/Delay rackmount unit, and (in the mail) an Electro Harmonix Deluxe Electric Mistress. They'll be used all through the signal chain in various places and configurations. Remember too I have a Roland Jazz Chorus 120 combo amp as well for chorus, and in the process of building my very own operating Leslie speaker system :idea: .

I also have a Boss DD-20 delay pedal, for instant delay and mucking around, and an Electro Harmonix Polyphonic Octave Generator (POG). And I plan to get an overdrive pedal & maybe an EQ pedal.

So with that I'll use a good quality multi-effects unit that can also handle amp channel switching, open & close loops for the pedals, and select effect presets.

• Members

So with that I'll use a good quality multi-effects unit that can also handle amp channel switching, open & close loops for the pedals, and select effect presets.

Yeah something like the G-System. I was looking into that but I think it's too much for me, since my requirements are a little simpler.. I just basically need clean effects.

I don't need channel switching on this particular rig since I am planning to use my twin, and I don't mind having to turn my dirt boxes on/off manually.

But it would be cool to have global control over the other effects.

What I don't know is if it will work well with the analog pedals, will they clip the input of the multi-fx unit?

Will the multi-fx make the whole thing sound digital?? Most of the clean effects I was planning to buy (delay, chorus etc..) are digital anyway so I don't think it would make that much of a difference... :confused:

• Members

Yeah something like the G-System. I was looking into that but I think it's too much for me, since my requirements are a little simpler.. I just basically need clean effects.

I don't need channel switching on this particular rig since I am planning to use my twin, and I don't mind having to turn my dirt boxes on/off manually.

But it would be cool to have global control over the other effects.

What I don't know is if it will work well with the analog pedals, will they clip the input of the multi-fx unit?

Will the multi-fx make the whole thing sound digital?? Most of the clean effects I was planning to buy (delay, chorus etc..) are digital anyway so I don't think it would make that much of a difference...
:confused:

Some multi-effects units like the G-System have an internal control to prevent the input from clipping due to external effect pedals. Also it helps to reduce the level controls on those pedals that are situated prior to the multi-effects unit.

Archived