Modding Behringers: the "almost True Bypass" sound-alike mod

• Members

ok, i just wanna share with you info on how to make Behringer stomps sound "like" TB (since they are mostly buffered bypasses) and to somehow preserve the tone you are after without having to spend an arm and a leg. at least. :cop:

here goes:

"...secret to make buffered pedals almost sound like TBP. Replace the input transistor if it's bi-polar with an FET. Then replace the gate bias (used to be base bias) resistor with a value of around 2.2 Meg. This is a very high value and will not load down the guitar signal.

This is part of what I do if the pedals I mod are buffered by a BJT transistor and the difference in sound is very audible. It results nga lang in this tube-amp like compression because the guitar becomes very sensitive and responsive because its signal is no longer loaded down by low-impedance BJT buffers."

posted by BAMF on thread "Behringer Stomps Thread: Let's Collect Them Here" june 6, 2008 (Philippine Time), in TALK@PhilMusic.com

mod on! :thu:

• Members

ok, i just wanna share with you info on how to make Behringer stomps sound "like" TB (since they are mostly buffered bypasses) and to somehow preserve the tone you are after without having to spend an arm and a leg. at least.
:cop:

here goes:

"...secret to make buffered pedals almost sound like TBP. Replace the input transistor if it's bi-polar with an FET. Then replace the gate bias (used to be base bias) resistor with a value of around 2.2 Meg. This is a very high value and will not load down the guitar signal.

This is part of what I do if the pedals I mod are buffered by a BJT transistor and the difference in sound is very audible. It results nga lang in this tube-amp like compression because the guitar becomes very sensitive and responsive because its signal is no longer loaded down by low-impedance BJT buffers."

posted by
BAMF
on thread "Behringer Stomps Thread: Let's Collect Them Here" june 6, 2008 (Philippine Time), in
TALK@PhilMusic.com

mod on!
:thu:

Kapwa Pinoy andito ka rin.

I've yet to hear any of the BAMF mods to make it closer to TBP. Lets hear some clips.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Kapwa Pinoy andito ka rin.

I've yet to hear any of the BAMF mods to make it closer to TBP. Lets hear some clips.

yes bro, si Sir Jobet (BAMF) mods Behringer pedals. also Boston Enggineering pedals (which are common and largely Boss clones).

let's up this thread. credits go to Sir Jobet. Scalarize!:love:

• Members

yeah, it gets more interesting when people learn and discover that Behringers (the stomps i mean) can cater (if not surpass) to their needs and expectations. come on man, i mean, you can get the same distortion or modeled sound without having to spend 500 gold coins. the PCB acts as earth and the circuits are sandwiched between the bass plate and PCB. nice shielding.

• Members

Lol scalarizers. One big placebo.

OT: Eversince I heard the sound of 'scalarize' in person, it's a bag full of sh*t. More like a snake oil... :mad:

I went to his shop 2 years ago, I think and there's this punk ass looking kid with his Ibanez 7 stringed guitar who wants to 'change' the sound of his axe.

Scalarizer Man: Here's the original sound of your guitar. *strum* *strum*

Punk kid: Ok, I want the super duper crystal golden sound scalazer to be installed...

After 2 mins of soldering....

Scalarizer Man: Now, hear the big difference... *strum* *strum*

Punk kid: WoW! You made my guitar sound big! so full!

Scalarizer Man: Ok, that will be 50 dollars...

I was like... WTF?!!? It just increased the treble.... man... everyone is really desperate of money nowadays.

• Members

Hence placebo effect.

haha, the only placebo story i heard was about a wife taking syringe shots of something like a serum or some sort of cure for her depression (think Nova Villa). got me laughing out loud really. then this funny anecdote. you got me paps valves! :lol:

since Philmusic is down might as well stay here for a while.. sugod!

• Members

has anyone ever tried to take the behringers out of their cheap plastic casing and put them in something more sturdy... then maybe actually mod it to TBP?

nah, what for? it wont break unless you kick it. and even if you do the knobs will be more exposed to more harm if you use standard aluminum enclosures.

• Members

haha, the only placebo story i heard was about a wife taking syringe shots of something like a serum or some sort of cure for her depression (think Nova Villa). got me laughing out loud really. then this funny anecdote. you got me paps valves!
:lol:

since Philmusic is down might as well stay here for a while.. sugod!

Do you even know what a placebo is?

• Members

Everywhere pedal manufacturers tote their pedals as true -insert other word here- bypass. But bottom line is, Behringer, Boss are not true bypass no matter what they say.

MXR and Dunlop are the same aren't they ?

What production pedals that aren't boutique actually have true bypass ? Do EHX ?

• Members

It's a lie.

Especially if they didn't call it True Hardwire Bypass.

Oh I agree. here's the link:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/behringer_dc9_compressor.htm

BEHRINGER DC9 COMPRESSOR

Behringer DC9 - dynamics/compressor pedal with true bypass.

However from Behringer's site:

http://www.behringer.com/DC9/index.cfm?lang=ENG

The DYNAMICS COMPRESSOR DC9 effects pedal smoothes out volume peaks which provides your playing with super-tight dynamics.

The DC9 stomp box gives your clean guitar a powerful, percussive sound, and even melts steel alloy with its endless sustain. A status LED for effect On/Off and battery check is included, plus there is a true hard-wire bypass for ultimate signal integrity. The DC9 runs on a 9 V battery or a DC power supply (not included).

Take the lead and let this high-performance effects pedal make you sound as smooth as ever

http://www.behringerdownload.de/DC9/M_EN_DC9_530_v01.pdf

• Members

I saw that... I think with their EHX and MXR clones they use TBP... :

"true hard-wire bypass" is not the same as "true bypass"

I wouldnt go buying a pedal just because it was true bypass but the confussion is annoying and it's {censored}ing wrong when you see something with misleading and false advertising.

Archived