Cake's Gear?

Teahead

• Members

I love the electric guitar tones on Cake's Fashion Nugget, google tells me Greg Brown was the man responsible, but I can find nothing on what he used back in '96.

My best guess is it sounds like a semi-hollow, into a smallish, old and well cranked amp, possibly even pedal boosted. I'd love to know, if anyone can shed some light on it?

• Members

Good ears!

Got this:

Greg Brown, formerly of Cake and currently of Deathray -- his gear (love that fashion nugget tone!):

Onstage and in the studlo, Brown's Carterisms take a modern turn on a 1965 Gulid Starfire running through an early-'60's 30-watt Silvertone 2 Twinn 12. "I'm amazed at the number of old guys who come's up to me and say "That was my first amp," he says. Gregs only effeet is a Rat distortion pedal used to "compress the sound a bit," and even on albums his tone is characteristically reverb-free. His Goya nylon-string has a Barcus-Berry pickup that routes to a Fender Sidekick.

...from here:

http://www.duke.edu/~drw5/

• Members

Cool! Thanks mate.
:thu:
Someone should make a Fashion Nugget pedal to nail that tone, it's reminiscent of Dave Davies early Kinks tone almost.

If you want I'd be more than happy to take a pair of scissors to the front of your amp. That should get you a bit closer to Dave Davies sound ;)

• Members

If you want I'd be more than happy to take a pair of scissors to the front of your amp. That should get you a bit closer to Dave Davies sound
;)

No, that's for Mrs. Tea to do, when she comes home early to find me up to no good!

:cop:

• Members

I can get a pretty decent Cake-like sound with my strat Ayan Slim + Smooth into my Blues Jr (Cranked all the way back to Slim). The neck pickup especially sounds pretty interesting like that.

• Members

Good ears!

Got this:

...from here:

I lived in sac in the early '90s and saw Cake a number of times in really small venues. The above quote is 100 percent consistent with what I saw. He kept the rat on top of his amp - not on the floor - and set it (obviously) for a very mild distortion. I think that he left the rat turned on all the time - I never once saw him switch it on or off. Live john used a little solid state squire for his acoustic.

• Members

Word on the street is he also uses an old squier practice amp for some of those tight rhythm sounds.

excellent band.
:)

How he gets that low-fi acoustic sound is by running a really trashy acoustic into a really trashy amp... which has changed over the years but was a Frontman at one point.

• Members

How he gets that low-fi acoustic sound is by running a really trashy acoustic into a really trashy amp... which has changed over the years but was a Frontman at one point.

It's also just got a contact pickup taped to the body.

Archived