Whammy Re-issue bypass?

• Members

How is the bypass on the new Whammy Pedal Reissues? Does it make your sound really digital-y when off? I've seen them on a few pro boards, plugged in directly to the signal path, so I'm thinking it might be okay, but I've also heard bad things about them before. Any opinions out there?

• Members

when I owned one, the bypass didnt sound "digital-y" but it didn't sound as sharp as it could of been. it was clearly worse than boss bypass, which isn't the worst but isn't the best either. kind of sad because there arent many alternatives to this effect

• Members

when I owned one, the bypass didnt sound "digital-y" but it didn't sound as sharp as it could of been. it was clearly worse than boss bypass, which isn't the worst but isn't the best either. kind of sad because there arent many alternatives to this effect

Like what? I cant think of anything that has the expression option, like the Whammy does.

• Members

Like what? I cant think of anything that has the expression option, like the Whammy does.

PS-5 has an expression jack which works (though from memory I'm pretty sure the whammy had a greater range) and there are a ton of rack units that cost 10x as much (so not really an option for most people).

• Members

PS-5 has an expression jack which works (though from memory I'm pretty sure the whammy had a greater range) and there are a ton of rack units that cost 10x as much (so not really an option for most people).

I wish the POG had an expression out, id be all over it if it did.

• Members

The Boss PS-5 can go up two octaves and down two octaves like the whammy, so I think the range is the same. The Whammy can't do delayed pitch shifting, though, like the Boss can it?

• Members

The Boss PS-5 can go up two octaves and down two octaves like the whammy, so I think the range is the same. The Whammy can't do delayed pitch shifting, though, like the Boss can it?

What's delayed pitch shifting? And the Whammy will do three down, but who really needs it that low.

• Members

What's delayed pitch shifting? And the Whammy will do three down, but who really needs it that low.

It's basically a chorus effect. The PS-5 detune function will let you add a slight delay to the pitch shifted signal. It sounds pretty cool. I'm thinking of switching out my PS-5 for the Whammy, but that's one thing I'll definitely miss.

• Members

It's basically a chorus effect. The PS-5 detune function will let you add a slight delay to the pitch shifted signal. It sounds pretty cool. I'm thinking of switching out my PS-5 for the Whammy, but that's one thing I'll definitely miss.

Well i know the Whammy does detune, but i guess thats not the same thing as what your talking about.

• Members

It's not the worst bypass IMO, but what sucks is that it must be put in front of pretty much everything else (except wah) in order to sound properly, at least to my taste, and obviously some pedals hate that (old fuzzes in the first place), so I'm thinking about getting a little tbp looper.

• Members

It's not the worst bypass IMO, but what sucks is that it must be put in front of pretty much everything else (except wah) in order to sound properly, at least to my taste, and obviously some pedals hate that (old fuzzes in the first place), so I'm thinking about getting a little tbp looper.

Thats what im worried about, (sending a money order out for a Whammy today) is that the buffer will mess with my Germanium Fuzzes. But a little TB looper wont be hard to make myself.

• Members

bed2b3fc14a3cde5fbbb3ce1355509fe.jpg

in the upper right hand corner inside the white rectangle labled detune the whammy does have a "deep" and "shallow" setting that are basically a chorus. so you might not miss it that boss setting too much.

as for the bypass, it does suck :cry: but search around for medusa (i believe that is the name) it is a forumites true bypass box that sits over the whammy switch and it is only like ~$40.

• Members

hmm. that is worrisome. so is the problem with it after fuzz that it just doesn't track very well? has anyone here used their whammy pedal with fuzz? I've got a couple of fuzz boxes and I would be concerned that the buffer wouldn't react too well going before them.

• Members

as for the bypass, it does suck
:cry:
but search around for medusa (i believe that is the name) it is a forumites true bypass box that sits over the whammy switch and it is only like ~$40.

Got any more information on this true bypass box? Sounds pretty groovy.

The Whammy bypass really sucks. Whether it's off or it's on with the heel down. Apart from that I like it.

• Members

hmm. that is worrisome. so is the problem with it after fuzz that it just doesn't track very well? has anyone here used their whammy pedal with fuzz? I've got a couple of fuzz boxes and I would be concerned that the buffer wouldn't react too well going before them.

No, its more of the problem that Fuzz doesn't like to have buffered pedals infront of them, especially if they are Germanium Fuzzes.

• Members

No, its more of the problem that Fuzz doesn't like to have buffered pedals infront of them, especially if they are Germanium Fuzzes.

Right, I was asking what the issue was with putting the Whammy after the fuzz.

• Members

in the upper right hand corner inside the white rectangle labled detune the whammy does have a "deep" and "shallow" setting that are basically a chorus. so you might not miss it that boss setting too much.

I get more of a rotary sound with the detune setting but that may just be me

• Members

Got any more information on this true bypass box? Sounds pretty groovy.

The Whammy bypass really sucks. Whether it's off or it's on with the heel down. Apart from that I like it.

if you want more info, pm aksman because he is the one that actually makes them.

but here is a pic to tide you over :)

MedusaBypass.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • Members

How did I miss a post I was mentioned in??? Shame, Shame!

Yes I make these.

Also, I just bought the Musicom Labs efxII. You could put the whammy in a loop on this thing, AND control its settings via the efxII's midi, too!!!!

But, it costs over 10 times as much.

Archived