Songs that used the Prophet 5

b3keys

• Members

I don't know this for a fact, but I always assumed that the opening sound on Loverboy's "Turn Me Loose" was a P5 because I didn't know of any other poly keyboard at the time that had that tuning knob that moved in 1/2 note increments.

As pointed out, this was done on the CS. There are two glide modes on the CS, portamento and glissando. It was done using the glissando mode.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am surprised that after 5 pages of stuff nobody has mention Nena 99 Luftballons,

The keyboard guy is shown playing an Oberheim somethingorother and a Prophet V. I think the keyboard bass line is from the Oberheim and the chords are the Prophet.

The reason it hasn't been mentioned is probably because Nena's debut album (incl. the song "99 Luftballons") was recorded with an Oberheim OB-X and Minimoog.

• Members

Videos and TV appearances are never good sources of info on what was actually used on the original recording.

Most analog synth sounds in video clips of 80s were played by DX7. That was the main reason I bought a DX7 at that time. It was a big dissapointment for me :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Sweet. That must have been quite a show!

Ponty's 'Modern Times Blues' is one of the all time *GREATEST* pieces

of music ever created this side of earth. George Benson on guitar
:eek:
Absolutely smokes. And what a cool, verry deep groove man.

JLP even makes fine use of the Prophet 5 for chordal progressions & FX
;)
That's got to be one of my all-time favorite jams, ever.

-Vince

Hello,

That track is pretty badass. Seems like when GB released "Breezin" and became popular as a vocalist, folks fell asleep on his playing. Nice to hear him stretch out and just play on the track, and JLP has some of the most ethereal synth work of the time. I know he also used the Roland VP330

on some of those tracks also. "In Spiritual Love" from the "Individual Choice"

release is also on point. George Duke contributed a nice Mini D solo on that.

With regard to the Pointer Sisters, "He's So Shy" track, it sounds a bit close

(compositionally) to the Michael McDonald track, "What A Fool Believes",

but its still cool.

Regards,

Lawrence

• Members

Great thread, great contributions from everyone.

This morning on the news:

Joe Zawinul has left us.

I seize the occasion to mention this, as I believe he was quite a heavy P5 user (as has been mentionned in this thread).

I was so lucky to see him with his band in the spring in Geneva. And, though he had lots of recent keyboards around him, the one producing one of the most typical "Weather Report sounds" was an old, worn out P5 (I went to check onstage after the concert).

Can't tell how much I admire and love him for all he has done in music. What a great guy, I salute him !!! :cool:

PS: the only sure instance of P5 use I knew of was Tony Banks of Genesis, producing these very typical fat, gorgeous chords with a P5 - but I think that was mentioned as early as on page 1 or 2 of this thread... ;)

• 3 years later...
  • Members

The main synth riff on that appears to be the Juno 60 (there's a preset on the 60 that sounds too similar to it to probably be coincidence). It's a while since I've heard it but I think it's just the 60 recorded twice (or possibly even 2 linked together via DCB and tweaked slightly differently)

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but the riff in Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams was to my knowledge done on a Roland SH-2.

cheers

• Members

Most of the synth work from Journey (both Gregg Rolie and Jonathan Cain) during the late-1970's to early-1980's was P5, although Mr. Rolie also used a Minimoog. I believe Journey's top-selling album ("Escape") was entirely P5.

When I first saw this thread I immediatly thought this, but didnt thik anyone would have put it. On the Albums "Journey" "Look into the Future" and possibly even "Next" I believe Gregg Rolie was all about the Minimoog. But sometime around "Ifinity" He began to start to favor the P5. He, and then later Jon Cain, used the P5 (including the polyphonic synth parts on "Don't stop Believing") until "Frontiers" when Cain switched to the Roland Jupiter 8.

• Members

I saw him perform the live score to POWAQQATSI, while the movie played in the background. Incredible.

I saw him perform that too, as well as Einstein performed as an oratorio at Carnegie Hall. Einstein was in my top 10 concerts. Magnificent.

• Members

I saw him perform the live score to POWAQQATSI, while the movie played in the background. Incredible.

cool! i saw him perform one of his scores for the Jean Cocteau trilogy at UC Berkeley, they actually projected the film on theater scrim in front of the stage, with the ensemble lit-up behind it. he performs in and around santa cruz every once & i while, too, it's a good scene around here.

• Members

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but the riff in Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams was to my knowledge done on a Roland SH-2.

cheers

Actually, it was a Roland Juno-6 for both the bass riff and lead (played by Annie Lennox)! This was confirmed to me a while ago by a guy who was present during the recording sessions. Also, David didn't use a SH-2, he used a SH-09 and a CSQ-100 sequencer.

• Members

It's overlooked because that was a Roland Juno-60
:)

The song (Time After Time) does feature the Prophet 5 though...

The main synth part is a combination of Juno-60 and Memorymoog. The latter is also responsible for the "horns" in the B-verse. The bass line however was played by Richard Termini on his P5 rev 3. The P5 also provides the horn lead (that answers the whistle melody), harp plucks and harpsichord on "She Bop", and the pads on "All through the night"**. Says Termini: "they wanted the same patch as used in I can feel it coming in the Air to Night

Archived