Songs that used the Prophet 5

b3keys

• Members

Yaz/Yazoo. IIRC, even the drums are P5.

This of course does not mean that the P'08 will sound just like that.

Mook, I'm pretty sure that there was also some Voyetra 8 on Blue Monday...

There's no Voyetra 8 on Blue Monday. They didn't have them (they owned three units) until The perfect kiss/Low-Life period.

Micke

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How about "Let's Go" by The Cars.

Also, I don't have any songs in particular, but Thompson Twins used P5 all over the place. So did The Fixx. I'll have to dig up some material and listen for tell-tale signs of the Prophet.

Nick Rhodes also used P5 for one of the sound FX in The Reflex.

Burning Down the House has that sync sound all over it as well (live and studio versions, IIRC). Live by Bernie Worrell and studio by Wally Badarou. Not sure I'm remembering this precisely.

• Members

in that period. It does sound like one to me.

Yeah, Andrew Farriss had a P5 in his rig for years. Given that Geoff Downes toured with a Prophet on the first couple of Asia tours "Only Time Will Tell" probably is a Prophet.

Its amazing how many people think the Prophet on "Lets Go" is a guitar through some sort of effect. Most synth savvy folks would recognise it easily as a typical synth filter sweep sound.

• Members

Greg Hawkes Prophet 5 rev 1 is all over the song "Since You're Gone" as well.

Also, check out Bruford's album "One Of a Kind" (1979), Larry Fast/Synergy's "Games" (1979) and "Audion" (1981), Suzanne Ciani's "The Seven waves" (rec. date 1980-82) and Utopia's "Adventures in Utopia" (1979), "Swing to the right" (1982) and "Utopia" (1982) for lots of Prophet 5, again rev 1.

Here are some more soundtracks that feature the Prophet 5 & 10:

Invasion of the body snatchers (1978) - Denny Zeitlin (single-keyboard Prophet 10 along with orchestra)

Inseminoid (1980) - John Scott --just received this one the other day and I think it's great (recorded with a Prophet 5, Polymoog and CR-78)

Maniac (1980) - Jay Chattaway

The Boogey Man (1980) - Tim Krog/Synthe-Sound-Trax

Contamination (1980) - Goblin (Prophet 5 plus CS-80)

Scanners (1980) - Howard Shore (Prophet 5 and Arp 2600 along with orchestra)

Hell Night (1981) - Dan Wyman (another horror score featuring the single-keyboard Prophet 10)

Das Boot (1981) - Klaus Doldinger (Prophet 5, Minimoog, Fairlight along with orchestra)

The Jupiter Menace (1981-82) - Larry Fast (Prophet 5, Minimoog, Moog system 15 etc)

Cat People (1982) - Giorgio Moroder (P-5, Jup8, Synclavier, Polymoog etc)

Never Cry Wolf (1983) - Mark Isham

Blue Thunder (1983) - Arthur B. Rubinstein (P-5, Jup8, Synclavier, Moog...)

Terminator (1984) - Brad Fiedel (Prophet 10, Oberheim OB-Xa, DSX, DMX, Emulator etc)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - Charles Bernstein (P-5, OB-Xa (or OB8), DX-7 etc)

The Hitcher (1986) - Mark Isham

• Members

Also, I don't have any songs in particular, but Thompson Twins used P5 all over the place. So did The Fixx. I'll have to dig up some material and listen for tell-tale signs of the Prophet.

i played keyboards once for a CBGB gig with cy curnin of the fixx. we did "saved by zero" and later he came up to me a complimented my programming skills. he thought what i came up with sounded better than the recording. i emulated the P5 sounds with a korg 01w/fd and an ensoniq ks-32. :wave:

• Members

Anyone else remember Sky (one well known track was a version of Toccata) - they used a Prophet 5 and Oberheim OB1

Remember them well - I just pulled out Sky3 and SkyFiveLive (vinyl) out of my collection. Sky3 (1981) lists Steve Gray playing Oberheim OB1 and OBX, P5, steinway, harpsichord and Electric Clavinet. Sky5 (recorded in Australia in 1983) lists...wait for it...Yamaha GS1 Grand Synthesiser [sic], as well as ac grand, harpsichord, JP8, OBXA, Korg CX-3 :thu:Yamaha CS-01,/BC1 ("Gobsynth").

I guess by 1983 they had ditched the prophet.

• Members

Check recordings of David Sylvian's band Japan, and the side project "Worlds in a small room" by Jannsen/Barbeiri.

Japan's 'Ghosts' is one of my favourite P5 renditions ever.

You can see/hear the action

Also New Musik's 'From A to B' and 'Anywhere' albums are flodded with interesting 'going further than presets' P5 action.

• Members

I'm becoming more and more a CEM fan, as far as it seems
:thu:
What a nice Obbie/Prophet combination !
;)

Dave Sylvain used a hired Prophet 5 rev 2 on parts of "Gentleman take polaroids", eg on "Taking Islands" and "My New Career".

He later bought a Rev 3 P5 which he used on "Tin Drum". On that album Richard Barbieri mostly played OB-X and Roland 700 (laboratory system) and David played mostly Prophet 5.

Says Richard: "David doesn't get enough credit for his synth work on "Tin Drum" and I have to say he is one of the best programmers I know of."

Micke

• Members

Japan's 'Ghosts' is one of my favourite P5 renditions ever.

You can see/hear the action

Also New Musik's 'From A to B' and 'Anywhere' albums are flodded with interesting 'going further than presets' P5 action.

I was just going to mention those albums but you beat me to it :-)

On "From A to B" they also used a Korg 700 (eg for the bass, submarine noises and [multi-tracked] chords on "On Islands") and a Yamaha CS-80.

Micke

• Members

To the list of soundtracks featuring the Prophet 5 and especially the huge Prophet 10, I'd like to add Rick Wakeman's score to "The Burning" (1981).

Furthermore, the Prophet 5 is all over Tears for fears debut album "The Hurting" (early 1983). The P5 also features prominently on Men Without Hats album "Rhythm of youth".

• Members

I'd say most of Wakeman's late '70s and early '80s work had Prophet on it. Certainly his album 1984, based on George Orwell's novel, does.

There's Prophet on Mike Oldfield's Five Miles Out and Crises, although it tends to be overshadowed by the Fairlight CMI on both and the OBXa on Crises. Its reasonably likely that QE2 also had Prophet 5 on it, although David Hentschel apparently played some CS80 on it as presumably Tim Cross did as well. There might have been some Prophet on Platinum, but I have no clear evidence.

• Members

Yep, Wakeman did indeed use the P5 on "1984" (rec. in early '81). The first solo album with him to feature it was probably 1979's "Rhapsodies".

To the best of my knowledge, he first used the Prophet 5 on the "Tormato" tour with Yes, back in late 1978/early 1979.

Archived