Songs that used the Prophet 5

b3keys

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Please Solaris...

Haven't you destroyed and embarrassed this forum enough already? And now this?

:bor:

1982 - Patrick Cowley composed and worked all his wonderful productions almost exclusively on his "PROPHET 5 polyphonic analog synthesizer" (five voices), 60 note keys , it created "fat" or "bass" sounds. Almost all marvels this man created in his mind were pumped out from his PROPHET 5. Patrick played his Robotic voices with a Paia Vocoder. And recorded everything on 8 channel tape recorder.

• Members

Most of the synth work from Journey (both Gregg Rolie and Jonathan Cain) during the late-1970's to early-1980's was P5, although Mr. Rolie also used a Minimoog. I believe Journey's top-selling album ("Escape") was entirely P5.

• Members

:confused:

1982 - Patrick Cowley composed and worked all his wonderful productions almost exclusively on his "
PROPHET 5
polyphonic analog synthesizer" (five voices), 60 note keys , it created "fat" or "bass" sounds. Almost all marvels this man created in his mind were pumped out from his PROPHET 5. Patrick played his Robotic voices with a Paia Vocoder. And recorded everything on 8 channel tape recorder.

Just messin' with you. Patrick Cowley has done some fantastic work.

• Members

Well, you may as well include pretty much all of John Carpenters sound-tracks for most of his films.

Yep! Also, you can hear the whole array of Prophet sounds, from watching one movie - CREEPSHOW. No other synths. The score was entirely created with a Prophet 5, A couple of Steinway pianos and a choir. It's cool to hear the Prophet carry the whole movie, like it did.

• Members

Anyone know if: Asia - Only Time Will Tell used the Prophet 5. The sound at the start of the song?

I think the Prophet 5 was used on Pink Floyd's The Wall. The synth solo in Run Like Hell.

Also, I'm not positive about INXS using it in Don't Change. I remember reading a Keyboard article and the keyboard player saying he used a Prophet 5 in that period. It does sound like one to me.

• Members

PhD - I wont let you down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5prT2qiiWY

I remember the keyboard player saying they wanted to use the Prophet 5 for every sound on the LP including the drums but I guess they didn't...
:D

I was just about to post that too ! :D

I think this song shows very well where the Prophet excels other synths of its type ! ;)

... one of my most favorite synth parts ever !

• Members

Yaz/Yazoo. IIRC, even the drums are P5.

This of course does not mean that the P'08 will sound just like that.

Mook, I'm pretty sure that there was also some Voyetra 8 on Blue Monday...

I thought he was using a Pro~One actually... :rolleyes:

• Members

Mook, I'm pretty sure that there was also some Voyetra 8 on Blue Monday...

There's certainly one in the Perfect Kiss video! :)

There's also a thread on here somewhere where we also discussed the string machine, solina, dmx and emulator. ;)

Anyone else remember Sky (one well known track was a version of Toccata) - they used a Prophet 5 and Oberheim OB1

• Members

I thought he was using a Pro~One actually...
:rolleyes:

He was - not a Prophet 5. Gilwe is correct.

Anything on Berlin's albums "Pleasure Victim" and "Love Life" will have lots of P5 on it, as well as Juno 60. I see Sir Banks was already mentioned, and of course Phil Collins' early solo work (Face, Hello, NJR) was full of P5.

• Members

Yep! Also, you can hear the whole array of Prophet sounds, from watching one movie - CREEPSHOW. No other synths. The score was entirely created with a Prophet 5, A couple of Steinway pianos and a choir. It's cool to hear the Prophet carry the whole movie, like it did.

Yeah, that's virtually a demo for the Prophet 5. Great stuff!

Micke

Archived