Good, cheap, consumer headphones?

veil

• Members
Koss KSC-75s FTW, if you don't mind clips instead of earbuds. They're about $20, have a lifetime warranty and kick the ass of 'phones twice the price. I've had a set for about 2 years, and I love them.

www.koss.com

Nope, don't care what style they are, even studio full-ear ones are fine with me. The reviews on these seem to be great. I've never had clip-ons...do they stay on ear well enough? Can you wear them with glasses?

• Members

I use Skullcandies. They look pretty, at least. The white in-ear bud ones match iPods well - the only problem is that the jack housing is HUGE, so it's kinda hard to get into your iPod jack if you're the sort of person who puts protective shell cases and things on them like I do.

• Members
Just spend another 20 bucks for Grado SR60s. Generally agreed to be far and away the best headphones under or near $100. Incredible crisp, clear, balanced, and accurate - in other words, an audiophile's wet dream.

They look beautiful, but I have to remain steadfast in my budget, unfortunately. :(

• Members
Does Grado make any in-ears?

No, but they do make a back-of-the-head banded pair called the iGrado. They're cheaper than the SR- types and apparently very good.

Veil: the Koss 'phones stay on fine. The earclip section is separate from the headphone driver enclosure- they're attached with a ball-and-socket joint, which occasionally snaps apart on mine, but only as you're putting them on.

They're not ideal for wearing with glasses, as the clip holds them to your ears in the same way as, and in the same place as a pair of glasses. I have worn them with sunglasses a few times (not a great deal of sun here in the UK to have to worry about it... :D) and it works OK. You get the sense that your ears are a little overloaded, but it's not uncomfortable, and everything sits where it should. Some people really don't get on with earclip 'phones at all, so if you have any friends with a pair, maybe try them out before you spend your money.

Mine are away for replacement at the moment- I've had them about 2 years, and one of the drivers cut out- seems like good old fashioned wear and tear on the cable has caused it (the fate of most headphones, I'll bet, and these have lasted as well as, if not better than the last set I had, which were Panasonics, and which sounded crap compared to these), but the UK distributor was happy for me to send them in for repair or replacement at no extra cost. Koss advertise a "no questions asked" lifetime warranty, and they seem to be as good as their word...

• Members

+1 on Skullcandies, but I'd just go with the 40mm cups, not earbud style. Reason #1 being price ratioed with quality. I think they go for $40 bucks now?

I don't read Hi-Fi magazines very often, but when I do, Skullcandy tends to get written off as a fashion statement rather than a reputable Hi-Fi brand.

YMMV, I've never had a pair myself, but they're considerably more expensive in the UK than plenty of perfectly decent brands (I could buy some pretty tasty Sennheisers or the iGrados for the same money), so I probably never will.

• Members

I don't read Hi-Fi magazines very often, but when I do, Skullcandy tends to get written off as a fashion statement rather than a reputable Hi-Fi brand.

Plus One.

They;re a piece of {censored}.

Built for ridiculous amounts of bass.

• Members

No, but they do make a back-of-the-head banded pair called the iGrado. They're cheaper than the SR- types and apparently very good.

Gack, that kills it for me. The only headphones I ever wear are in-ear buds because they give pretty good sound isolation and bass, are lightweight and can be looped around my neck and under my shirt to not get in the way. Guess I might have to try Sony or something. I had a pair of Altec Lansing buds that I REALLY loved and fit well, but those had ridiculously short cords and attached through a necklace loop sorta thing (built for lightweight mp3 players you wear like a pendant), so I doubt they'd work very well with my ipod brick.

Archived