got a muff....meh

hierophant

• Members

so i picked up a little big muff and not to say its a bad pedal but it really is a one trick pony, cranking the sustain and kicking it on for solos is great but it sounds borderline terrible (to my ears) with chords. my question is whether there is a similar type of dist/fuzz box under $100 that you would recommend. I've heard the crunchbox is wicked and can be had for around 100 used???:idk:

suggestions?

• Members

I've owned a NYC Muff and a Mayo. I much prefer the Mayo, but it's still not fantastic. Coupled with a TS808 style overdrive it's incredible though. I just sustained a note for near on 2 minutes, I love notes that ring perfectly into feedback.

• Members

my triangle muff was nice but oneday i wanted to see if i could make it a little more articulate

so i ran my shredmaster into it

gain at 12 oclock mid and treb all the way up and bass all the way down

volume all the way up

works wonders

i would have to bring the gain down a tad for some chords but it works well as is and is a dream with solos

helps it cut through alot better as well

• Members

Big muff is just not for everybody. You have to find a song or part in a band that fits this sound. I love my Russian Big Muff, works great for Grunge sound... but for alternative / 80's rock sound, I don't think it shines at this genre.

• Members

Yeah I just finished a B.Y.O.C. clone and the lead tones are definitely more easily discovered, but there are rhythm tones there too. What amp are you using? I found that the muff sounds much better running into tube amp on a clean setting than into a warmer/breaking up channel. The muff is actually the only fuzz I've had that sounds better into a clean amp, less "muffled" (sorry). Also it plays well with a phaser, lots of cool tones there.

• Members

Actually, they don't say the Little Big Muff and NYC RI are the same.

They say the LBM is somewhere between the NYC RI and the Russian Big Muff.

And while I think the Big Muff is a great pedal (see Pinkerton, see White Stripes, for examples), you're probably right in saying it's a one trick pony. A Big Muff sounds like a Big Muff!

• Members

blasphemy! i love the sound of my lbm on chords. its not gritty enough for me on leads (i have a disaster fuzz for that). to each his own i guess.

i was under the impression the lbm was just a big muff in a smaller case. i a/b'd them and i couldnt tell the difference. the big muff might be a tiny bit darker but that was the only difference i could hear.

if your looking for something different i would look into devi ever's stuff. she has a ton of great fuzz/distortion/overdrive pedals for $95.

http://www.analoguehaven.com/devieverusa/95dollarpedals/

the demos are {censored}e though because theyre mostly recorded direct. not representative of what the pedal sounds like through an amp.

• Members

I'm not a big fan of the pedal but I will say that if you HATE the LBM I don't see you LOVING any muff.

+1 I had a LBM on my board for about 2 weeks. It sounded cool to me just not my thing. BUT it wasn't that much different than my buddy's green Sovtek muff. You could tell them apart but they were essentially the same in a full band setting.

• Members

I've just finished my GGG muff today. Really liking it so far, I did a load of mods to it though. Changed to tonestack caps, a bunch of other coupling caps as well. Also socketed the transistors so I can mix and match.

• Members

so i picked up a little big muff ......it really is a one trick pony..........?

its only as much of a one-trick pony as the player using it.

ask yourself, if SRV or Jeff Beck was playing with it, would they only be able to get one sound out of it? or only play early 90s grunge tunes?

likely not.

some responsibility should be put on the player.

as for a muff being able to 'cut through' in a band situation, arrangement can play a large part in that, as can musicians actually listening and playing together. good musicianship can make a huge difference (ie: 'cutting through' when everybody else is playing at maximum volume may well be an example of poor arrangement, mediocre musicianship, as well as user error).

Archived