got a muff....meh

hierophant

• Members

^ The whole family of Big Muffs essentially gets the same smooth, thick fuzzy sound. Yes a creative player can use that sound in different ways but that doesn't make it the right sound for everyone in every situation. If the OP doesn't like it ... that doesn't mean he can't play. Duh!

Did SRV ever use a Big Muff? Doesn't really seem like something he would choose for his particular sound but I could be wrong.

• Members

have ya ever tried a muff with the sustain dialed way down? it can deliver a nice raspy drive, nothing smooth about it. granted theres hardly as much range in a muff as opposed to say a Rat, but OTOH, theres not just one sound in there.

srv, AFAIK, didnt use a muff. what i was putting out there though was that if he sat down and plugged into one, he'd pull out at least a couple diff sounds.

people used to posit that the telecaster was only a country guitar, could only sound thin and twangy. this muff thing is very siimilar.

• Members

I see what you mean ... and yes I have tried a Muff with the sustain dialed way down and it is a different sound ... but really ... don't you think the OP should try some other type of dirt rather than trying to dial in a Muff that isn't ever gonna get the sound he wants? It isn't as if we are actually talking about a guitar ... that's a huge investment vs. a relatively inexpensive effects pedal.

• Members

yeah i have played my brothers russian big muff, he plays bass, and the LBM is definitely a good big muff, no hate towards this form of da muff. im playing into a classic 30 and i do find that the pedal works best on the clean channel, which is a bummer because I'm usually on the OD channel set to just before breakup. i guess i'm finding the sound to be a little flat, muddy even with the tone turned up and a loss of dynamics from picking attack. i'm not hating of the big muff i'm just coming to the conclusion that it doesn't fit with my style i guess. even though i have a smashing pumpkins poster on my wall:)

• Members

+1 I had a LBM on my board for about 2 weeks. It sounded cool to me just not my thing. BUT it wasn't
that
much different than my buddy's green Sovtek muff. You could tell them apart but they were essentially the same in a full band setting.

Yeah, I have a Mayo that I find pretty much a necessity because I play solo but in a band setting I think you would be very hard pressed to differentiate between the Mayo and a NYC Big Muff.

• Members
but in a band setting I think you would be very hard pressed to differentiate between the Mayo and a NYC Big Muff

Bingo

Isn't it the main purpose of having a boutique pedal? We're just buying it for the looks, fancy casing and colors, the limited run. Admit it, we're suckers for these boutique pedals... but on stage? I don't think the crowd can distinguish a Danelectro PB&J over a let's say T-Rex delay. Or maybe a Ts-9 with COT? But, I still love buying these crap even though it is twice as much as a regular BOSS... it's just a mojo persona; thingy, I guess. :love:

random nonsense rambling.... :blah:

• Members

:blah:

Well, the crowd probably can't in most cases but I have to love it before I'm going to let anyone else hear me play through it. Like I said, for solo playing I've got to have a Mayo because it sounds a lot better than the NYC Muff to me. But if you're in a DOOM band or something and everyone is pounding it out it's going to be hard to pick out the subtleties of one muff over another from the stage or audience. It's really all about how you are going to be using the pedal to determine if you need to spend that extra cash.

• Members
so i picked up a little big muff and not to say its a bad pedal but it really is a one trick pony, cranking the sustain and kicking it on for solos is great but it sounds borderline terrible (to my ears) with chords. my question is whether there is a similar type of dist/fuzz box under $100 that you would recommend. I've heard the crunchbox is wicked and can be had for around 100 used???
:idk:
suggestions?

i run the volume at max and the sustain at 1-unity-ish and get a great gritty medium dirt overdrive/breakup :thu:

• Members

Would you say that the Fix'd Fuzz has some very muff-like sounds in it?

Close, but its not muff based. The boost > fuzz #1 > tone stage combination is more muff-like than anything else, but not quite as compressed.

• Members

Close, but its not muff based. The
boost > fuzz #1 > tone stage
combination is more muff-like than anything else, but not quite as compressed.

Yep, I'd agree--that's the closest-to-Big-Muff setting on the Fix'd Fuzz! Not as compressed for sure, but reminiscent of the BM.

• Members

Yeah, to me it just sounds like a mess with a tele and the Bassman run clean. I can turn the sustain down below 9:00, but then I guess what's the point? I like the Fuzz Faces myself but want to try other fuzzes. I need more articulation though. Resonant dissonance and chord clarity.

Archived