Who is planning on buying the Prophet 08?

ARP

• Members

Well Gribs, here's my take on it:
I've got an A6. Don't have a PEK, but I've messed with one a bit.

It's easy to quickly get some 'out there' sounds just playing with the hacks and delays of the PEK. The A6 makes you work a bit harder to get those unusual sounds, and you've got to plan them out a bit more.

I hardly use unison at all with the A6, because after turning on some waveshapes in the oscillators, adding in a bit of the subs, maybe a pre-filter sine or two and just a dash of ring mod, and sending a bit of an oscillator to FM the dialed in filters (on and on - you get the idea), the sound is already massive and unison would put it over the top.

I suspect the P '08 will have a larger 'sweet spot' in the silky/string/pads area, but the A6 does them superbly with a bit of work.
I've heard a few complaints about it, but I find the A6 can be very beefy in the bass range. Haven't heard much in this area from the P '08 yet.
There's quite a bit more to work with in the filter area of the A6 too.

Like others have said, if you want analog with tremendous programming abilities, head for the A6.

The PEK, while not as programmable as the A6, can get you into different territories easier.

And the P '08 will have more than enough options for most people, while shedding the 'stigma' of the digital aspects of the PEK.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Ironically, the digital aspect of the MEK is what I like the best.

FM'ing waveforms....mmmmmm.
:love:

I really like a lot of digital stuff too.

A complaint about the Evolvers was the high pass filters and delays were digital (and I think distortion and hacks too).

I can't find that flow chart, but I don't think there was a way to get a straight through analog signal flow. Not sure how great it would have sounded even if you could.

Anyways, the P '08 should take care of that, as well as addressing the polyphony.

It should be a good seller in a somewhat small market.

• Members

P08 over the PEK except for the polyphony

Um, like, duh...you gloss over that like it is some small point. At 4 voices, it's a big point, much bigger than if we were talking even 8 vs 16. If someone doesn't think they'll use the digital side of the Evo series much, why not opt for more voices? If the PEK were 8-voice, I'd probably already have one. But it ain't, and the money it costs to make it such means it's not in the cards yet.

• Members

Um, like, duh...you gloss over that like it is some small point. At 4 voices, it's a big point, much bigger than if we were talking even 8 vs 16. If someone doesn't think they'll use the digital side of the Evo series much, why not opt for more voices? If the PEK were 8-voice, I'd probably already have one. But it ain't, and the money it costs to make it such means it's not in the cards yet.

oddly enough, I thought the 4 voices on the PEK were going to bother me when I got it. they honestly havnt. It takes some thinking when you play it, but the delay lines can very effectively mask the note steeling. Ill hold one or two notes in the bass register while playing simple one note melodies in the higher. the sound of the PEK is pretty deep and complex, and more than that is often just plain overkill.

I have considered using polychain to connect a PER to the PEK to get 8 voices, but i have gripes with poly chain. It means eating up 4 mix inputs instead of two. If DSI had put a polychain-audio input on the PER/PEK for summing the audio, I'd have gotten a PER already.

• Members

So where do you prefer to order your keyboards? I was surprised to see that novamusik is not listed on davesmithinstruments.com as an online seller. They have the P08 listed for sale. I have not ordered anything from sweetwater but they seem to be popular here too.

Archived