Who is planning on buying the Prophet 08?

ARP

• Members
I don't know what that means.
:idk:

My point was just that you could tune the sines relatively easily and play them from the keyboard.

I didn't mean nuttin' by it. Just messing and your absolutely right. Just haven't messed with it in that fashion yet. Pretty much relegated sine wave sounds to the Triton on my hardware. All my software besides ImpOSCar I think has sine waves in the oscillators.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well I finally got to demo this, and the impressions were nicely favourable.

Of the two or three things that surprised me, one was the amount of 'bottom' in the sound - the extent of that low-end punch doesn't come through at all over the online demos. The other was the ( welcome) amount of colour in the sound ; in fact in some ways it sounds the most clearly 'coloured' of any Dave Smith -designed synth that I've heard, and definitely more so than the evolver.

One thing which came as I expected is that certain "three-dimensionality" in the tone , which, if not absolutely 100 % as the stereotypical VCO poly might ring out , really is very different from all the 80s DCOs I've owned too. There were various suggestions on the nabble forums of a process that somehow "models VCOs" here ; either way the feel is nicely poised and live-sounding. I was pretty surprised at being able to coax out some open-ended pads that were even partly reminiscent of the T8.

Overall, hearing the bottom and colour in the sound more fully I can understand the references to the P5/evolver midpoint , and it definitely clicked with me. I've ordered one from modularsquare , which is the best deal I could find for us in the UK, and looking forward to integrating it into my setup.

• Members
Well I finally got to demo this, and the impressions were nicely favourable.

Of the two or three things that surprised me, one was the amount of 'bottom' in the sound - the extent of that low-end punch doesn't come through at all over the online demos . The other was the ( welcome) amount of colour in the sound ; in fact in some ways it sounds the most clearly 'coloured' of any Dave Smith -designed synth that I've heard, and definitely more so than the evolver.

One thing which came as I expected was the "three-dimensionality" in the tone , which, while not sounding absolutely 100 % as I might expect the sterotypical "VCO" poly to ring out , really is different from all the 80s DCOs I've owned. There were various suggestions on the nabble forums of a process that somehow "models VCOs" here ; either way the feel is nicely poised and live-sounding . I was pretty surprised at even being able to coax out some open-ended pads that were dimly reminscent of the T8.

Overall, hearing the bottom and colour in the sound more fully I can understand the references to the P5/evolver midpoint , and it definitely clicked with me. I've ordered one from modularsquare , which is the best deal I could find for us in the UK, and looking forward to integrating it into my setup.

That's part of the reason I bought an FX unit that has a high pass filter in the chorus. That low end clashes with Minimonsta, Triton, and MV bass in a mix. You will always get great basses out of the Prophet though. There doesn't seem to be any problems there. :lol:

• Members

Apologies for the spam but if anyone wants my very-good-condition Prophet '08, $1600 gets it shipped to you in the continental US.

Desperate for room and could use the money right now.

I like it fine but its the lowest man on the "synth totem pole" at Rusty Insects right now.

Also, a heavily modded Arp Axxe and E-mu Xtreme Lead-1 are in the offing as well.

• Members
No, its a nice analog poly but I'm trimming down the studio again..making room and getting some cash together.

...selling 3 other synths as well, maybe 4.
:D

TRAITOR! How can you ever look Dave Smith in the face again. :cop:

:D

So, what are you making room for?

• Members

Looks to me like zebrawood and curly koa, respectively.

Well done, though I suspect someone has visited the website.

I would suggest that spalted woods are possible. but spalted maple would be a more likely possibility. I need to look into my wood stock. I usually save most of my spalted stuff for bowl turning.

• Members

So, what are you making room for?

Mainly the things I already have :freak:

Also, I need a good stereo solid-state pre/DI...I'm looking at this one at the moment:

BIGLmicpre.jpg

...the two Focusrite Trackmasters I have aren't thrilling me anymore and I've been using mics heavily on my current project. The LA-610 is fantastic but its mono and isn't a good match for all my mics, plus its rather colored as its all tube-based.

• Members

Mainly the things I already have
:freak:

Also, I need a
good
stereo solid-state pre/DI...I'm looking at this one at the moment:

BIGLmicpre.jpg

...the two Focusrite Trackmasters I have aren't thrilling me anymore and I've been using mics heavily on my current project. The LA-610 is fantastic but its mono and isn't a good match for all my mics, plus its rather colored as its all tube-based.

If things pick up I'm going to get some more outboard myself. I'd love to have an Elysia Mpressor.

mpressor.jpg

Archived