Who is planning on buying the Prophet 08?

ARP

• Members

It is kind of clean and edgy at the same time. Fun synth.

The more I use it, the more I'm finding new uses for it...very flexible indeed.

BTW - Purity, it was Stefan Trippler, not me that made the patch, I was just confirming its presence and type of sound in that thread. But thanks anyway ;)

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It is kind of clean and edgy at the same time. Fun synth.

The more I use it, the more I'm finding new uses for it...very flexible indeed.

i was rather tired at the time and maybe not too clear about what i meant. it's very much the 'new analog' rather than the 'old analog' sound, lightning fast attack, good bite, but also exceptionally stable pitch/waveform/everything like old analog isn't. i think i could prob. warm to the sound... really i didn't get as much of a play as i'd like 'cos turdkey's got a bit intense these days (used to be a big room of gear with lots of headphones and lots of people trying stuff, so you didn't feel so self conscious)

i still think the knobs wobbled without that much pressure, there was a peculiar 'creep' effect on the patch change knobs (to the right of the screen) too, where sometimes you'd change the setting by several patches and as you let go, it'd flip back one... that could just have been the demo machine taking a bit of stick though:confused:

maybe i've been spoiled of late with {censored} off german engineering, but personally i'd have preferred maybe a slightly higher price and slightly more solid construction there.

• Members

How'd you get that price? Was it a special?

They are having a "secret" 15 percent off sale that they emailed me about. It ends today at 1159 pst. You have to say "save 15" for the discount and you can only call.

• Members

One of the things I love about this synth is how the same patch, when you start playing with the... unison mode, can go from sounding tame to larger than life.

That sounds in line with the earlier posts on nabble I was wittering on about, on the unison mode sounding more like 'typical analog unison' than dco unison.../

• Members

bugger .. another opportunity missed to handle the thing - have to try tomorrow or next week. Is it much harder demoing instruments in there than before, PurityC. ?

only if you're given to getting self conscious, or to feeling guilty about taking up the sales assistants time if you don't buy right then.

i just meant it used to be a lot more laid back in there, maybe it's better when it's busy, but there's less gear on demo now and it's all right at the front of the shop.

• Members

The oscillators are analog
hardware
, so no.

Edit: just read Stefan's reply, sorry for the redundancy.

Bubble busters you two. :mad:

Still interested in what the new OS will fix or improve. I've been spending more time adjusting the MX-300's FX to tailor the tone of the Prophet more than programming the Prophet itself lately.

• Members

Regarding Sines:

You can filter the triangle down to just the fundamental for a pure sine and it won't matter that you're "using up" the filter to do it because a LPF will have no affect on a sine (except for attenuation if its tuned to the fundamental - a sine is only the fundamental)...alternately just use the filter itself in self-oscillation instead of the oscillator for a pure sine.

Regarding the new O.S.:

Hopefully he'll buffer the knobs by the display. :mad:

• Members

Regarding Sines:

You can filter the triangle down to just the fundamental for a pure sine and it won't matter that you're "using up" the filter to do it because a LPF will have
no affect on a sine
(except for
attenuation
if its tuned to the fundamental - a sine is
only
the fundamental)...alternately just use the filter itself in self-oscillation instead of the oscillator for a pure sine.

Regarding the new O.S.:

Hopefully he'll buffer the knobs by the display.
:mad:

Already did the self oscillation trick on a split sound to get two sine waves. Thing is, you can't tune them. This was another reason to grab the MX300 and put its' chorus to good use. ;)

The triangles filtered doesn't sound right to my ears. The fundamental level is too low. Sounds like it's being smothered with a pillow.

BTW, I hate it when those knobs jump as well. :mad:

Archived