Fractual Audio Axe FX?

Kid_A

• Members

Is it me....or is practically all demos of the axe fx just a long mp3 of someone playing leads pretty much the whole time?

I'm yet to hear a high gain/metal clip, with someone playing some huge riffs.

Axe FX clips: noodling fest 2008

• Members

Good unit. I do not like tweaking models and effect so much at different houses. Amp tweaking is a hell of a lot easier. The AFX kicks all kinds of ass for studio work, but I still prefer my amp heads over POD, AFX or Software modeling.

• Members

Wow. There seems to be a lot of resentment for this little black box on this site. You'd think people would be happier now that someone finally got the whole MFX thing right and you don't have to pay $6K for it.

it's so right it's wrong

not really resentment so much as a resounding "meh" from a lot of people.

plus I don't see what this thing has that any other modeller doesn't except maybe being more convoluted with the little keypad and screen to try and hunt around for your magical good tone that consists of taking a nice organic guitar signal and shredding it up into a bunch of 1s and 0s.

I don't need 3000 different mic placement simulations to get a good tone... I just need a good loud amp and a guitar. Nothing can get any simpler nor sound any better than that for me. If I do want to use an effect or two I already know that a $35 small stone sounds perfect to my ears, why spend $2000 on a digital modeller that won't ever really capture even that simple effect quite right.

Mr. Munky is an incredible guitarist with fine tone and really well done recordings but anyone who has heard his clips knows it doesn't matter what piece of gear he's using at the moment, his tone always sounds pretty much exactly the same. I'm all for playing around with different gear but if it always sound the same what's the point really?

• Members

Hmmmm, i was more interested in the effects side and i could never see myself going "digital"... i agree with Robopimp that no matter how good (too good?) modellers are it will never replace a cranked amp and guitar... but... they have a purpose...

I got hold of guitar rig 2 a few weeks back and i can appreciate the time wasting you do with "tweaking" but its interesting and would only be a studio tool for me...

• Members

Yeh, in the context of a mix, and for the studio it's definitely something I would use. I'm not one of these guys who needs a cranked half stack in the studio - if it sounds good, then use it.

But for actually being in a room with a piece of gear, you want the vibe and mojo of a cranked tube amp, not something that looks like a computer. I think in a blind test it'd be pretty obvious that it's a modeller. Some people on TGP go absolutely wild over this thing...

• Members

Hmmmm, i was more interested in the effects side and i could never see myself going "digital"... i agree with Robopimp that no matter how good (too good?) modellers are it will never replace a cranked amp and guitar... but... they have a purpose...

I got hold of guitar rig 2 a few weeks back and i can appreciate the time wasting you do with "tweaking" but its interesting and would only be a studio tool for me...

I much prefer a good amp to modellers but I do have a PODxt that I use frequently because it's convenient, permanently plugged into my PC and I can use it relatively silently when the kids are in bed. As a modeller I think the Axe is better than the XT but not good enough to make me want to shell out for one to replace it. It isn't worth it for me based on what I use modellers for, and it's still not like playing through a good amp.

If you're not bothered about digital modelling and thinking of spending over

• Members

I tried for a few years to get usable sounds of of a PODxt Pro. There was always this super low frequency thing going on. It could be dialed out, but it would completely screw with the rest of the basic tone. I really didn't have the patience for that and always had such an easy time throwing a mic or two onto a speaker cabinet. That being said, I know the two are totally different as far as quality goes, but I don't want to spend all of my time tweaking parameters.

I really want to like the Axe FX, I'd love to try it since 99% of the reviews are glowing. But I've been putting so much effort in getting my amps and pedalboard tailored to my sound and I'd hate to have all that go to waste.

+1 to the thing about most of the clips being a little melodic noodle fest. I really want to hear an attempt at the br00talz, or some nice fuzzed out lead lines. For some strange reason I think if you're trying to cop a Jimi-style fuzz face vibe, pedals and amps will win.

• Members

yeah. let's have a blind test to see if the $2000 modeller can sound like the $20 dirt pedal.
:lol:

I'd totally get the $20 pedal dirt pedal for its presets, MIDI control, and myriad of other simulations and options.:cop:

Not trying to take sides, but each has its own place. Replacing your cranked amp and $20 dirt pedal is not what it's for.

• Members

I'd totally get the $20 pedal dirt pedal for its presets, MIDI control, and myriad of other simulations and options.
:cop:

Not trying to take sides, but each has its own place. Replacing your cranked amp and $20 dirt pedal is not what it's for.

it was your idea :idk:

• Members

it was your idea
:idk:

I was referring to those claiming it sounded inherently fake. I'd wager that it would get close enough in a practical context that they wouldn't be able to pick physical setups from the modeled ones.

• Members

I see what the problem is. Its the mentality of it being a "modeler".

I think of it as an effects processor that does modeling. As an effects processor, in my opinion the Axe-FX kicks the sh*t out of many a pedalboard.

You have every effect you could possibly need and they sound great. Maybe that's the difference - in perception of its function?

I will be picking one up by the end of the year. Since I basically deal with originals, I care more about sounding great than I do about sounding like any particular piece of gear. For creating unique sounds, its a dream come true for someone like me who doesn't have the budget to go buy an Eventide H8000FW yet. I'm looking to replace my effects, not my amps. The routing capabilities alone are endless. In my opinion, the Axe-FX shines over other MFXs in the studio. When you get these boxes under the microscope of a clean recording system, you hear their flaws and you compensate accordingly. You don't have to do that with the Axe-FX. That really impressed me and sold me on the unit.

Archived